1752579 Members
3172 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

San Swtitch and EVA Perf issues

nibble
Super Advisor

San Swtitch and EVA Perf issues

Guys, my users complained that they are having slow access with the disk from my EVA5000. it started 2 days ago. Eva event logs showed only normal events for the past 3 months until to date.I ran the perfmon and dg, vdisk and cpu are all working fine. however, i find somethig interesting in the host port part of the perf output with "Bad Rx Char" of 2 host ports. it generated a count of 35000 consistently, while my DP ports and MP ports usually show only 200. some of my other eva's shows some entry on Bad rx character but not 35000. forums suggested that it may be a bad cable.

secondly, when I check the switches, both the switch ports facing the host ports of the hsv110s shown 50 and 150 counts in "link fail" column of the portErrshow. same thing with the 2nd switch. ports facing the host side does not show any error.

any thoughts please? Im thinking that it may be a sign of bad optics or bad sfp. however, it's surprising that both hsv ports and both switch ports (2 switches) have those "bad RX char" and "link fail" counts, which means that at least four cables or four sfp modules are having issues.

would appreciate your inputs on this
3 REPLIES 3
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Re: San Swtitch and EVA Perf issues

Hi Nibble,

You are in the right path. Yes, it might be just a coincidence that you are getting issues with two paths.

The suspected things are as below:

1. FC cables. Try cleaning, refixing and replacing
2. SFPs on both the sides. Confirm by swapping.
3. Controller and the san switch.

At last, not the least the issues may be due to a low fimware. (either VCS or the FOS)

skt_skt
Honored Contributor

watch "fcmsutil /dev/tdx stat" and se if the counts are increasing. Also not the "Seconds since last statistics reset" at the bottom and the statistics are normaly from the last reboot.

I am not expecting this many devices goig bad; Did u check the service time of the disks from host side(sar)? What multipathing (securepath??) s/w are u using? Power path gives an option to watch the Queue IOs on each FC paths(Powermt watch)
nibble
Super Advisor

Hi Kumar, the hosts are windows servers. Thanks.