108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Secure Path Notification on Windows

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Pyle
Frequent Advisor

Secure Path Notification on Windows

I have a number of HPUX servers. I use secure path to manage their connections to my EVA5000. In the event of a FC card failure, I receive an email notice stating that there has been a failure. I have a windows admin that sits next to me. He also uses secure patch to attach one of our file servers to the same SAN. He is using multiple FC cards, but we still had a catastrophic failure. And we believe that one of the cards may have failed earlier, and we didn't know it. So I began looking at his secure path installation to see if there was any type of notification configuration. It is non existant. Does anybody know of a way to replicate the notification methods I have on my HPUX servers?

TIA

Brian Pyle

brian.pyle@chelanpud.org
Follow The Path With Heart
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Secure Path Notification on Windows

Hi Brian,

your Windows admin should check if his Insight Management agents are installed (i am assuming it's on a Proliant server here).
The Storage agents will add an entry to the system.evt log, send out an email (via the Event Notifier utility if properly configured with SMTP server/relay and email address) and a SNMP trap will be send.
The Event Notifier Config utility lives in : %SystemRoot%\system32\CIMntfy\lwconfig.exe and comes with the management agents.

If it's not a Proliant, any decent server vendor should have monitoring agents for the fibre channel cards and those will alert you in case of issues.

Using the management agents for your fibre HBA's is probably better then using the notification feature of the application itself (like securepath has i.e.) since it is independent of the application that manages the path failover/redundancy, using both is maybe the ultimate/best solution.

If you do want to configure it in securepath manager itself, see here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_AA-RRR4D-TE/TPM_AA-RRR4D-TE.pdf

page 25 i.e.

HTH

Kris
Brian Pyle
Frequent Advisor

Re: Secure Path Notification on Windows

Thanx Kris, we did and it did :)
Follow The Path With Heart