HPE EVA Storage
1753633 Members
5738 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Server 2003 Install: BSOD-Stop: 0x0000007B â HP Branded Brocade Boot from SAN

Michael Barbere
Advisor

Server 2003 Install: BSOD-Stop: 0x0000007B â HP Branded Brocade Boot from SAN

A Blue Screen with the message occurs after the first restart during a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32-bit installation.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any new installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Details of setup:
DL380 G6
Proliant Support Pack-8.30
Firm Ware-8.60
HP Storage Works PCI-e 8GB Host Bus Adapter (AK344A) â
I have tried the installation with both the Smart Start Disk 8.30 and with the Windows Boot From SAN Driver Update Disk for HP branded Brocade HBAs. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3662826&prodNameId=3954649&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-78550-1
Both installation methods result in the BSOD. This does not happen with 2008 Server, as the installs of those have been successful. The of loading the driver either by the Smart Start or directly injecting it with the F6 prompt is required as Windows does not detect the disk by itself.
The install is not an image and it comes directly from Microsoftâ s VLA set.
Further configuration info:
Brocade 384B
FW Rev 6.2.0E
IBM SVC
Rev. 4.3.1.6
The following article on QLogicâ s site indicates a possible fix by turning off the 2nd boot port LUN and using just one during the install. This did not correct the problem.
http://solutions.qlogic.com/KanisaSupportSite/viewthread.do?kcId=Post-5139056.
If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Barbere
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Server 2003 Install: BSOD-Stop: 0x0000007B â HP Branded Brocade Boot from SAN

Are you presenting only a single path to the boot lun during the installation? If not, try zoning out the additional luns so the server can only see 1. Also, you may need to make sure you are presenting the lun froim the "Manageing Controller".

What storage are you using?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Michael Barbere
Advisor

Hello Steven:

"Are you presenting only a single path to the boot lun during the installation? If not, try zoning out the additional luns so the server can only see 1."

As I mentioned in the post I have tried to do this on the adapter but you are asking to do this from the SVC?

...turning off the 2nd boot port LUN and using just one during the install. This did not correct the problem.

"Also, you may need to make sure you are presenting the lun froim the "Manageing Controller".

Yes the other controller is disabled. The array controller is disabled as well (although sometimes it feels like turning itself on after a restart).

"What storage are you using?"

IBM XIV: this is adminstered by the storage team-so any specifics questions on this I will have to give to them.

The adapter is in PCIe slot 02 on the motherboard. There is nothing in Slot 01. Slot 03 has the same card in it but is not yet configured (BIOS disabled) and has no fibre plugged into it. I have attached the Selectable Boot Settings screenshot. I have tried to disable the selectable boot port and enable more than one boot port and every combination in between without success. I have not tried removing the inactive card yet but will and report tomorrow on my findings. I will also ask the storage team about enabling only one possible port from the LUN.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

Michael Barbere

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"As I mentioned in the post I have tried to do this on the adapter but you are asking to do this from the SVC? "

Yes. Just because you don't set a boot lun doesn't mean it can not "see" the other paths. You have to totally remove all other paths to the storage otherwise the server will not install right. THis is assuming you have a second path on this same controller. Most Storage Array's have 2 paths per controller.

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Michael Barbere
Advisor

Enabling only one Booth Port LUN from the SVC did not correct the issue.

The attached screenshot displays the available boot port.

Any other ideas?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Can you show a screenshot of the Scan for Devices screen from the HBA bios?

Have you tried installing the OS directly from a Service Pack integrated OS Media? I think you need to have at least media with SP1 integrated (maybe even Sp2 since these are newer cards) for it to see the hba's. By now, you probablt have Win2k3w/sp2 media, but just a thought.

That part number leads to several different versions of the card. I take it you have the 81B version of the card? single port HBA?

Have you tried an earlier version of the driver?

" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3662826&prodNameId=3954649&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-71299-2 "

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
CSC SERVER SUPPORT

Hi Michael, Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this as I have some DL380 G6 with HP 42B PCIe 4Gb Dual Port HBS's that are giving me the same problem.
If anyone knows the fix please post it here as I don't know what to do now.

Thanks
Kim Siang, Lim

I encounter the same Stop: 0x0000007B error for DL380 G6 as well. Did anyone have a solution for this?
onnry

hi i'm having the same issue, installation windows 2003 or windows 2008 r2 on brand new dl160 g5
Michael Barbere
Advisor

I did not see this issue in Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2. I never found a fix for the issue in 2003 but fortunately I was able to convince management that there was no fix for the problem so future boot from SAN deployments require 2008.