108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Share a single LUN on MSA with two servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kuldeep S Walia

Share a single LUN on MSA with two servers

Hello People,
I have a MSA 2012 with MSA 2300i controllers and I wish to share the data in a single LUN with two servers with Windows Server 2008 Ent.

Data written by Server A should be seen by Server B
AND
In case where Server A is down, Server B should be able to write to the same data.
6 REPLIES 6
Kuldeep S Walia

Forgot to mention, the Servers are connected to the ISCSI storage using ISCSI Initiator.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that's not possible. NTFS isn't cluster-aware and the file system will be corrupted if two nodes will access it. Windows will access the MFT, even if you don't write to the filesystem.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Kuldeep S Walia

Is there some kind of workaround or setup wherein I can do this?

The idea here is to have two web servers accessing the same files located at a common space.
Hiren N Dave
Valued Contributor

Well, you can use host monitoring software on server B to monitor server A availability and if server A is down some how, these software would allow you to fire some scripts/commands from which you can mount LUNs on server B.

Other solution would be using server C to mount LUN and then using windows sharing, you can access it from both server A & B.

After all your the one with setup ready, do some R&D and you will get succeed...

I am an HP Employee

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
Rob Crooks
Frequent Advisor
Solution

As far as I am aware, the only time you can share an MSA volume in a Win2008 cluster is to use Cluster Shared Volumes. Unfortunatly, CSV is only supported in Hyper-V clusters and then only with a SAN that supports Persistant Reservation. I use it and it works flawlessly on an EVA4400. In the configuration you describe, simply create a cluster and assign the volume in question as a disk resource. Then it becomes available to whichever cluster node holds the resource name and if that server is down, the other node will be take over the resource, and be able to read and write to the volume.
Kuldeep S Walia

Thanks for all your input. Helped me take the right path.