HPE EVA Storage
1753716 Members
4405 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software to mgmt SAN environment (HBA, MSA)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kornel Kundzicz
Advisor

Software to mgmt SAN environment (HBA, MSA)

Hi,
I'm new here. I'm haveing a question.
I want show all HBA from server and all MSA with was conected to FC switch. If I can see the LUN on thoes MSA it will be great.
Which software I should use? I search a free software.
Could You tell me that San Surfer is free?
I search some download links but I not finded.

Could You help me?
15 REPLIES 15
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

HP offers SANsurfer downloads for the QLogic FC adapters, but this software does not understand other components.

HP/QLogic also provide the Simple SAN solution, but as far as I can tell:
- it is useful for a new implementation or
- maintenance of very recent product

There are more GUIs for MSA1000/2000 series and the FC switches, but I am not aware of a single product which can support older components.
Kornel Kundzicz
Advisor

Thank for help.
In my case I have to do a map of connection between servers and storages and if it's possible I must must see which LUNs are assigned to which servers. In my environment I have only HP equipment (DL servers and MSA storage).

If You have any solution please tell me.
In another case I will do this step by step :)

Kornel Kundzicz
Advisor

Maybe somebody else know any solution?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The 'string' between these objects are the WWN (World Wide Name) and the LUN address.

You can find the servers FC-Adapter's WWN from the adapter BIOS or the HP system management homepage. The same number can be found on the FC-Switch and on the MSA.

When you define zoning on the switch, use a clear speaking name for WWN aliases/ zone names and you have kind of 'online documention' in the switch.

The WWN is also visible on the MSA and you can use a nice name for the connection/host as well. The Selective Storage Presentation(SSP) / LUN masking (you did not tell which MSA product you use, so I try to give the terminology for the MSA1000 and 2000 series...) defines which logical disk/volume is accessable from which server at which LUN address.

A modern storage array also provides a unique 128-bit WWN for each LUN. It is visible on each storage array and you can very often view it on the server.
The LUN address is not always a helpful indicator, because some multipath filters create a new, virtual adapter with an individual LUN address space.
Kornel Kundzicz
Advisor

I have a MSA1000 and similar MSA1500.
I think that I will do things as below list:
1. Check the WWN on server
2. Check access list on each MSA (which LUN present to which WWN from server)
3. Compare these two lists

I want do this use some kind of software.
I find a SANVisibility software but I will test it on next week. I don't know that this software will help me.

Thank You very much for Your help.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

CLI Reference Guide for MSA1500
Kornel Kundzicz
Advisor

You have a right. I can use CLI command to check this.

If no one has other ideas to close tomorrow topic.

Thanks all for help.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Brocade SAN Health tool has the capability to do I guess as I have tried it in my SAN Environment. You have to privde an smtp server address and it will automatically e-mail the captured data.

Try using SANXpert & HPConfiguration Collector (both HP Internal Tool)

Check with HP whether you can get it..
RM782
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Hp have a tool called SanVisibilty, it is free. install on a server in your san input the details and send to the HP SanVisibility team in less than one working ay a full report of your San infrastructure is returned, you will need visio and excel to view the report.

http://www.compaq.com/storage/networking/sansolutions.html