HPE EVA Storage
1753792 Members
5780 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

State Status "No_Light" and "No_Module" Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for C7000 Chasis

SOLVED
Go to solution
Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

State Status "No_Light" and "No_Module" Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for C7000 Chasis

Dear IT Experts,

I am a newbie in SAN Switch system. Actually, I have a BL460c G5 server.

BL460c was attached to a C7000 Chasis. From OA, I can see that the server was installed at Bay 5 and it has 2 HBA port on it (it has 2 WWN).
But, when I tried creating Zone in SAN Switch, to attach this server to another, I could not find any of the "WWN" of the HBA.
From SAN Switch "swichshow" command, I got information "No_Module" on port 17 and "No_Light" 18.

From command "licenseport show" I got information that I have still have license for port 17 and port 18, but because of "No_Module" and "No_Light" status, maybe both port can not be used.

Can anybody help me what does status "No_light" and "No_Module" means? Do I need buy any other license port, so the BL460c WWN HBA can be detected by Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch?

Kindly need any help, please? I am stuck...

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: State Status "No_Light" and "No_Module" Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for C7000 Chasis

Feri,
Since your blade is in bay5, you should be looking at port5.

I couldn't download the attachment you posted but also failed to understand why would you zone two servers? Is the other one storage server?

To see the server WWN appearing in switchshow command, you should have blade (in bay5) powered up.

Look at the SAN switch, port 17 (leftmost) has no module installed, port 18 (right to port 17) has an SFP installed but nothing connected.

Hope this helps.
Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: State Status "No_Light" and "No_Module" Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for C7000 Chasis

Dear Amardeep,

Yes, You are right. Actually I want to join this server with NetApp storage though SAN Switch. So, we will need zoning, right?

Here is I sent you the attachment again.
Sorry, I am still confused what I need to do with port 17 and 18?
Sorry, I am newbie..

Kindly need your help, please

Thank you
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

I know that if the blade is running windows you actually have to have Windows running before the HBAs show up on the SAN switches
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

If media says "cu" then it's copper - connection via midplane in the c7000 chassi.

If media says "id" then it's an SFP slot with an SFP installed.

If media says "--" then it's an SFP slot but no SFP is installed.

So.
Port 17 and 18 does not go to the c-class blades. They probably go to other SAN-switches or to your netapp.

Port 17 -> no SFP installed. Do that?
Port 18 -> no_light -> nothing coming from the other end
Port 19 -> no_light and no license
Port 20 -> OK

For port 18 you can try to set the speed to fixed -> command: portcfgspeed

I would also persistentdisable the ports that you are not using.
Also port 5 is disabled. Please enable that with "portenable" if you intend to have a blade in slot 5 in the c7000.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If your blade server in port 5 has two WWNs, then you should have two SAN-switches in the c-class.

The two san-switches are not - should not - be connected so you need to log on to each and do the zoning etc.

If you only have two SAN-switches, each would be called a fabric.

Each fabric has its own zoning / configuration and you will only see one WWN in each switch (one port goes to switch a, the other port to switch b). So the zoning will be different if you use wwn-zoning.
Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,

Thank you for any suggestion.

Everything is running normally now. Actually I still have one license which is installed on port 17, but this port can not be used because there is No_Module on it.

So, I just release License from port 17 before and reserve it on port 5.

Then I run "portenable" to activate port 5 with the license.

Now, I can see WWN of the Blade and do zoning system for Blade and the SAN Storage.

Thank you for any help to me

regards,

--feri--
Feri_1
Occasional Advisor

I have found solution for my problem from this forum. Thank you for anyone help