1753470 Members
5118 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Status monitoring of EVA4400s?

Murray Itkin
Occasional Contributor

Status monitoring of EVA4400s?

Without a CommandView server is there any way to monitor EVA4400s?

We currently have four EVA4400 units, in an environment that doesn't allow MS-Windows servers. Therefore we are using the built-in web based CommandView on the EVA4400s. What method can I use to monitor these beasts - or did I make a major mistake recommending them for a HA environment.
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You will need a commandview server soon for SBM - e.g. for disk FW updates. Once you have it, this question is also answered ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

From what I've heard - I explicitly recommend a (Windows) server-based management environment[*] - most tasks can be done through the EVA4400's management module when it is running CV-EVA as well.

As Torsten wrote, disk firmware upgrades (which I believe is a missing critical function), is not possible today.

[*] Yes, I had some, well, 'discussions' with our own and HP's sales people, but if they got brainwashed and don't understand reality that is _their_ problem and not _mine_ (or my customers' who are running SBM ;-)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, and before you order a Windows-based management server: Make sure the sales person does not want to sell you a 'storage server' - that is a box which is full of extra software for file serving, web serving, ....

Select a simple DL360 and a dual-port Fibre Channel adapter with a stock Windows license so that you can do simple patching.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You need a "standard windows" server for CV EVA, CV TL, SIM, etc. in most cases one for each product. ... for some products the requirement is a real server, not even a virtual. That's how it is ...

On the other hand, the 4400 is the only member in the eva family with ABM, but all the server based framework works nicely ... in addition, the ABM (array based management) cannot do some other features too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

The ability to update drive firmware will be available in a future release of the AMB firmware.

So is there an answer to the original question?

We don't want windows servers at remote sites either, because security patches come out every two weeks and it becomes a managment nightmare to update every widows box at remote sites.