New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Direct Attached To Switched Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
ORCUN_2
Occasional Advisor

Storage Direct Attached To Switched Configuration

Hi to all,

Our customer needs to change the configuration of their Storage which is composed of msa 1500 and sata disks with only one controller.This storage is direct attached to the microsoft storage server with the Fibre cables.And approximately 2TB of data is within the storage.Then we will add another server and a san switch to that configuration.How can i change the configuration to direct attached to swithed without loosing the data on the server (Since the server is File server alot of permissions applied to lots of folders.)

Thanks a lot.
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

attaching the array to a switch will not lose the data , although you should always take a backup before you start making changes as a good practice. whether or not you implement any zoning on the switch with only two hosts and one switch at the moment is up to you. at the array end you should not share any data between the two servers without a cluster or shared filesystem in place, to restrict access to a lun to a particular server use the ssp functionality in the msa1500 (associate a host connection with a lun )

hth

ORCUN_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot for the fast answer ,

I knew the configuration data is shared between the disks and the controller ,but i can not be sure of what will happen when we swithced the configuration.After the change i will use 2 servers with SSP for lun assignment.But the main point is not to lose the data.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

your data on the msa will be fine all you are changing is the means of access and lun presentation (ssp) , none of this affects the luns or the data on them.

hth