New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Mirroring

SOLVED
Go to solution
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

Storage Mirroring

Hi dears,

i have a problem understanding the HP Storage Works Storage Mirroring licensing info, in the product bullitn andweb site the diffrence is not clear.

so these are the products/lic available appreciate if some one can elaborate a bit about them and the uses of each:

HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Data Migration LTU TA779A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Replicate Edition LTU TA781A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Replicate Target Edition LTU TA783A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Replicate Target Exchange LTU TA785A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Entry Edition LTU TA787A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Standard Edition LTU TA789A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Enterprise Edition LTU TA791A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Premium Edition LTU TA793A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Virtual Host 1 LTU TA795A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Virtual Host 10 LTU TA797A
HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Recover Virtual Host Unlimited LTU TA799A

5 REPLIES 5
Abel Ruiz
Solution

I've had the same problem.

In the last version of QuickSpecs changed the whole list of SKU's and they didn't added any equivalence table. :-P

Maybe (just maybe) this web could help you:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#intro

It's the HP QuickSpecs website, and they have an archive of past versions. You'll see that they've changed the SKU's even one more time in version 13 (the previous to the last one: v14), but that time the descriptions were the same.

Good luck.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Q1. How is HP StorageWorks Storage Mirroring Software licensed?
A1. Because Storage Mirroring Software is host-based, a license is required for each server involved in the replication process. Licensing must include the target server (receives replication data) as well as the source (production) server. The only exceptions are the Storage Mirroring for Virtual Infrastructure and Storage Mirroring Data Migration. They require the production server to be licensed only.

besides, check this page out;
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12625_div/12625_div.html
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

but guys whats the diffrence bettwen them thats the thing that is not clear ??
Abel Ruiz

If you only need to replicate directories, nothing more, then you need 1x "Replicate Edition" in the source server and 1x "Replicate Target Edition" on the destination server. I don't know the difference with the "Replicate Target Exchange", sorry.

The "Data Migration" is only for a one-time migration from one server to another, so I think it is very cheap.

And the full product are the "Recover" editions. I'm not very sure about the exact differences and functionalities between them but it appears that must be ordered taking in mind if your Windows are Standard, Enterprise, etc. They are used to have some degree of recovery options at OS level (I think).

And the "Recover Virtual Host" editions are for doing file image replication of whole virtual machines. They are licensed differently, by number of images (VM's), not the type of OS in them.

Anyway, I'm not really sure about all of this. Only the big picture. If anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

Ah, and apart from this, you could go to HP Software Depot and download an evaluation version. Maybe with the manuals you could have more material to investigate.
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Abel, i already downloaded the manual but no luck there, nothing in the SAN design reference guide for that matter also, this product is becoming a bit important with the introduction of the P2000, but if i can├в t get a decent licensing guide, it makes you wonder about the software itself. :)

Any ways, hopefully somebody can tell us the difference or HP will decide to enhance their product documentation any time soon.