5096 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Works MSA 2000 problem

Admir_1
Occasional Advisor

Storage Works MSA 2000 problem

hello everyone,
i bought a MSA 2000 (2012 fc), i am connected to it via an enthernet switch and a SAS switch. i created disks and volumes, but i cannot see the actual storage from my computer (not from any). i installed everything like they said in the user manual for MSA 2000, and i come to the point where i have to map the volume but it will not work. in the drop down menu i got two port that are from my server that i am accessing the storage. even when i put RW it will not show me the storage at all.
any help?
14 REPLIES 14
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Admir,

What OS you are trying to present to? Not challenging your OS expertise but some OS needs scanning of hardware changes and creation of device file.

E.g. in Windows, open disk management page and rescan the disks.

My 2 cents worth.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

msa2012fc and sas switch ? is this a fc attached via fc switch or sas attached msa2012sa ?

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if you have a MSA2012fc you need a FC-Switch between you MSA and your server. The Ethernetport is only for management purposes.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Admir_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Amardeep,
but now i do not understand something else,
i have 3 ports in my volume managing list,
two are from the controlers of the storage,
(two controlers x 2 fiber chanels= 4 fiber chanels)

on the storage i have 12 drives,made to 1 volume in raid 1 size 2.7 TB.

and i rescaned and i see 4 unlocated disks.
may you explain to me why is that so, and what the purpose of it? when i disable one port on the managing list, again i see 2 unlocated disks.

5 cents ok? :D
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> 2.7 TB.

Some operating systems do not (properly) understand volumes which are larger than 2 TeraBytes (2^32 Blocks * 512 Bytes/Block).
Admir_1
Occasional Advisor

ok that why i have from one disk 2TB + cca 400GB. but why do i have 4 unlocated disk treated as they were different not the same disk?
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you have multple hba's and no multi pathing software you will see multiple instances of the same disk (excepting openvms and tru64 where multipathing is built in)

hth

Prokopets
Respected Contributor

windows 2008 also has build-in mpio.
Admir_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks to everyone,
yet another question and i am going to close this thread.
everything is now ok, but just one thing.
three servers are connected to the fiber switch, and see each one unlocated partion(that i made on the msa 2000), when i made a partion from one server and copy a file, i can't see the same partion from another server, neither the file on it.
i searched in the documentation, but did not found any usefull thing.
thanks again.