New Discussion юеВ

Re: There is no problems to use concatset on Windows 2003 Enterprise

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lee Joon Moon
Occasional Advisor

There is no problems to use concatset on Windows 2003 Enterprise

Hello Everyone.

I consider useing concatset on Windows 2003 Enterprise. But I used it on a Lab.
So, I don't know exactly the effects of concatset. If I explain the enviroments, as following are
1.OS - W2003 Enterprise
2.Storage - EMA12000 Blue
3.ACS - ACS 8.7F
4.APP - MSCS

According to HP documents, concatsets need to check on OS and concatsets can use it's functions or not.
Also are there another cautions for using concatsets on EMA with Windows2003?

If you have some idea, please let me know.

Thank you.
Have a nice day!!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

A concatset enlarges the current HSG unit by the amount of data that is available in the second storageset. On Windows you will see a larger physical disk that now got some free space at the end. You can create another partition or extend the current partition of a basic disk, e.g. with DISKPART. From reading some notes in Microsoft's knowledge base there seem to be problems, when you add that space to a dynamic disk that is on the same HSG unit, but I cannot give you a pointer to a web page, sorry.

I don't recall if dynamic disks are now supported in MSCS with Windows 2003. Do a full backup before trying anything, but I'd say that is standard practice anyway;-)
Cmorrall
Frequent Advisor

Dynamic disks are still not supported in Windows Server 2003 MSCS.
However, I've created a large LUN from two raidsets and _then_ created a basic disk which I put in a cluster. Worked fine.
Supposedly, you can use diskpart.exe to expand a volume on the fly even on basic disks in a Windows Server 2003 cluster, but I haven't tried it myself.
/charles
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Lee,

We have used CONCATSET on HSG80 connected to Windows 2000 Advanced Servers and then used Microsoft Diskpart to extend basic disk partitions. The partition has now grown to 500GB - we did not encounter any probs at all.Ofcourse on dynamic volumes, you could just right click the volume and extend it.

I know the answer is not specific to your call but just thought I would share this with you anyway.

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,