New Discussion юеВ

Re: USPV storage provisioning

SOLVED
Go to solution
SAM_24
Frequent Advisor

USPV storage provisioning

Hi,

I come from EMC world. When I assign disks to hpux host I manually select virtual bus & target/lun number.

What is the equivalent in uspv?

Thanks.
Never quit
2 REPLIES 2
Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor
Solution

Not sure what a "virtual bus" is, but the way you assign LUNs in the XP24k world (aka USPV) is by creating host groups.

A host group is a logical grouping of host WWNs and LUNs that can see each other. So the only way to make a host see a LUN is to put them in the same host group.

A host group is "attached" to an FC port on the array. So port 1A has its own set of host group, port 2A has a separate set of host groups, and so on. You usually end up putting the different HBAs of a host into different host group, based on your SAN zoning.

Once your hosts groups are set, you just add LDEV (logical disks) to a host group. As you are add them you also have to assign a LUN number to them, so an LDEV doesn't become a "LUN" until you assign a LUN number to it.

Hope that helps! I know the explanation is convoluted, but in practice it's pretty easy... after you get used to it. Just remember that you are not going to be able to manage an XP24k (aka USPV) without the proper training.
SAM_24
Frequent Advisor

Excellent. Thanks Alex.
Never quit