HPE EVA Storage

Unable to add replacement disk to disk group - strange error

UberSushi
Occasional Advisor

Unable to add replacement disk to disk group - strange error

Hi

I had a 1TB FATA disk failure. The affected disk group shows 39 disk (was 40), but there was no levelling, and there is no object in the Ungrouped Disks folder. The lights on the disk was red. I replaced the disk.

The replacement disk appeared in the Ungrouped Disks folder, but when I try to add it to the affected disk group (via the Disk group's property pages) I get the error "Not enough volumes available"

When I click on the replacement disk, and try to add it to the disk group, I get an error "Maximum Number of Objects Exceeded"

The total disks on EVA: 239. Ungrouped: 1.

I have tried this several times to no avail.
Disk failure protection on this disk group is still available/at the requested level (single).

What could the problem be? I have replaced many 1TB FATA disks on this EVA before and this is the first time I've seen something like this.

Can someone please help?

Thanks
Johann
3 REPLIES 3
UberSushi
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unable to add replacement disk to disk group - strange error

Update:
I have restarted teh controllers, and ALL the disk groups (6 of them) are levelling.
I still cannot add the disk.
Will wait for levelling to complete (about 40 days and 40 nights :p) and then I'll try again.
Dileep..
Trusted Contributor

Hello Joahann,

I Beleieve this is a EVA 8K/5K. Do you have failed varaid0 Volume ? If so till you delete that Volume recontruction wont complete.

could you confirm whether reconsruction/migration of failed is completed ? this can be confirmed from event logs. Once this completed only the failed disk will get removed from DG (from DG Metadata). So if you try to add disk beofore that it may give error.

Also EVA best practices says **NOT** to replace the disk before reconstruction/migration completed.
Refer P11 in below link. Though this link is for latest eva the same can be applied to OLD EVA'a also .

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA2-0914ENW.pdf

Hope this helps.
UberSushi
Occasional Advisor

Hi

No, we don't have any VRAID0 volumes.
After restarting the controllers the EVA started levelling. As these disk groups are over 95% occupied, and consist of 40x 1TB disks, it will take about another week.
(it is really really annoying)

Once levelling has completed I will add the disk to the disk group and see what it does.

Thanks for the advice
J