4883 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade Brocade 4Gb c-Class SAN switches

dynamox
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade Brocade 4Gb c-Class SAN switches

Hello folks,

i need to upgrade my brocade 4Gb c-Class SAN switches to 6.1.0c. I can not not upgrade to 6.2 because it's not on EMC support matrix yet (these switches are ISLed to McData ED-140M). My switch is running 5.05 so from i gather from documentation i first have to upgrade to 5.3, then to 6.0.x and only then to 6.1.0c. Is that correct ? Also is this upgrade going to disrupt fibre channel traffic ?

Thanks a bunch
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
yes the steps should be correct. The upgrade is non disruptive. Nevertheless its recommended to be done on one fabric in time only with the second fabric untouched (to be able to rollback without the disruption if needed for any reason... and in the off-peak hours...
the pain is one part of the reality
kirkkak
Advisor

Just connected Brocade to our McData based fabric, and we had to move 9.8.1 (Open Fabric) + EFCM 9.7.3 for connectivity with 6.1.1c (InterOp). We made it as offline procedure
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

I think you are going to find you have to update to 5.1x then to 5.2x then to 5.3x then to 6.0. The switch will tell you if you cannot update to the desired release and need to update to sequential versions.

Until you get to 5.3 the updates will reboot the switch. After that the interruption is very brief.
dynamox
Occasional Contributor

so 5.05 to 5.3 will disrupt my fiber channel traffic ? After 5.3 ..what is small disruption ?, fast reboot on Brocade still disrupts fiber channel traffic, it's that the switch does not have to go through POST so it appears as it's up faster ..but it's still an outage. What's your experience guys ?
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

After 5.3 when you do an update the switch does lose IP connectivity for about 10 pings. I am not sure how the FC traffic is interupted, but the update is considered "online". If you are dual pathed and your failover method is known to work it should be quite easy.
dynamox
Occasional Contributor

I just looked at 5.3.1 release notes and it states that i have to first upgrade to 5.2.x ..but the download page does not have any 5.2.x firmware? Am i missing something ?

Thanks
Ravi_Shankar
Frequent Advisor

If you have purchased the switch from HP , you can get all the firmware versions from HP. They have the internal link where they store all release of firmware . Also you ask them to send SAN loader tool through which you can take SAN switch backup and also push the firmware. This tool can be used to downgrade the switch firmware if require.