5501 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Brocade 4100 to v6.4.0b

George O'Reilly
Advisor

Upgrading Brocade 4100 to v6.4.0b

Dear All,

When I upgraded a 4100 fibre switch from 5.3.2 to 6.4.0b (using v6.0.0 as a stepping stone)it completely wiped my passwords.I tried all the old default passwords and none worked.
I would have put this down as a glitch but it happened again on a second switch. Fortunately neither switch was in production and I was able to play.
Also thanks to these forums I was able to use the second switch and the distribute -p PWD to get out of the mess.
Has anyone else have the same problem with this download or know why it's happening.
Thanks
George
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi George,

I don't know if this is the reason, but the release notes for 6.4.0b state:

"Upgrading to Fabric OS 6.4.0b is allowed only from Fabric OS 6.3.x. The policy to support one-level migration only, which began with Fabric OS 6.0.0, provides more reliable and robust migrations. By having fewer major changes in internal databases, configurations, and subsystems, the system can perform the upgrade more efficiently, ensuring a truly seamless and nondisruptive process for the fabric. The one-release migration policy also reduces the number of upgrade-downgrade permutations that must be tested, allowing for thorough testing and verification of supported migration paths."

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I almost remember there being a note like the one posted in one of the release notes where the passwords were reset.

You had to go into the switch with the serial connection I think and run though the process of changing them just like you would normally do upon initial deployment.

Did you try admin / password?

Were you using the serial connection? or telnet/web gui?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
George O'Reilly
Advisor

Rob,

I'll bear that in mind the next time although it did do a compatability check before loading.

Steven,
I did the download from telnet, connected the serial once I hit the problem but of course at that stage it was too late. Again next time I will use the serial.
yeah tried the old admin/password combo but to no avail.

Thanks for the comments
George
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello George,
we had tha same issue, but default root password stayed there, so HP technician were able to "recover" it. Btw, we upgraded in recomended steps, so even use recomended upgrade paths is not always safe.... :(

Jan