108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading EVA3000 with a new M3414 disk shelf

SOLVED
Go to solution
KurtG
Regular Advisor

Upgrading EVA3000 with a new M3414 disk shelf

I know that the EVA5000 can be expanded with a new disk self "on-the-fly". (Seen by command view when first disk is put into the loop).

Is the same applicable for the EVA3000 series too (or does other rules applies when using copper cables)?

Any input is very welcome.

Kurt
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Kurt,

There's nothing special about using copper FC connections. All the same rules apply.

Cheers,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
KurtG
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot Vince!

Kurt
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Recent versions of EVA-5000 have copper cables, too and you can mix copper and fiber.

Whether you can upgrade an EVA3000 "on-the-fly", I have seen mixed messages. It used to be supported, then there was a document that said it was not supported.
(HP StorageWorks Adding M5314 Drive Enclosures to an EVA5000 Configuration Instructions - EK-DEIRE-AA.C01- May 2004).

And now it seems to be supported, again:
HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array Hardware Configuration Guide - AA-RS28D-TE - September 2004)

On page 138 it says:
""An HP authorized service representative can add FC drive enclosures to a rack while the Enterprise Virtual Array 3000 is on or off. HP highly recommends that the Enterprise Virtual Array 3000 is turned off while adding FC drive enclosures to a rack. If the HP authorized service representative would like to add an FC drive enclosure to the rack with the power on, the service representative should take care to disconnect and connect one cable loop at a time.""

(It's a nice background sound if you do this online and don't disable the audible alarm ;-)
KurtG
Regular Advisor

Thanks Uwe!

I'll check out the document right away.

Kurt
KurtG
Regular Advisor