HPE EVA Storage
1748213 Members
3103 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading XCS Code on controllers without being plugged into an array?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Upgrading XCS Code on controllers without being plugged into an array?

Hi,

We have recently upgraded a customer to XCS code 6220 on their EVA 6000 in preparation for an upgrade to an EVA 8100 (I know this is EOL now but we've been waiting on this F/W and expansion to go through some red tape for some months and have finally got a slot booked in to do it!)

Basically I want to make sure the controllers, currently running 6110 are upgraded to XCS 6220 before we hook them up the the array which of course will house an EVA database running metadata at code level 6220 so as to prevent the EVA getting in a mess.

As such I've hooked up one of the HSV210-B's to a Brocade 4/8 SAN switch on port FP1 and from the Brocade switch to an EVA Management appliance.

I've entered the WWN and checksum supplied with the controller and rebooted it and it is now displaying a Wide-Wide-Node of 0000-0000-0000-0000 and no system name.

Having done the above the management appliance sees the controller and allows me to install drivers for it.

This now all looks good in device manager.

HOWEVER I CANNOT SEE THE CONTROLLER IN COMMAND VIEW?!?!

I've done a discover, but it's not picking it up....is there more that needs to be done...or a different method that can be used to flash the controller in isolation of an EVA?

I've connected to the Brocade and it's showing both ports to be online and functioning!?

Thanks!
Failure is NOT an Option.
6 REPLIES 6
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

UPDATE!!!

I've taken the plunge and built a small CAB loop (with terminations on each end) and plugged this into the CAB ports on each controller using the splitter.

In addition Ive used the I/O cables and interconnect cable to hook the two controllers together on the interconnect port and the MP ports.

I've shutdown and restarted the lot in the following order.

Brocade Switch.
Top Cont.
Bot Cont.
SMA Server.

I've put the supplied WWN/Checksum into both controllers and issued the mandatory restart.

Now the controllers have come up with a world wide node of the WWN number on each OCD's (still no eva system name) and on the Brocade all 3 devices (2 x conts + SMA server) are showing as online with the correct WWN's.

In CV EVA on the appliance server I am now seeing an entry for the EVA as the collective WWN of the controllers however I cannot expand this to view each controller in turn to issue a code load...

Do i have to go as far as hooking enclosures/disks up to allow for somewhere for the hardware map to be stored? If so what are the implications of this when the disks are reintroduced on site later as part of an expansion?

HELP APPRECIATED!!

Thansk,

Ryan Harris

Agfa UK

Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Am I posting in the wrong forum or can someone genuinely not help with this?
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I'm looking at the old QuickSpecs for a HP StorageWorks 8100 Enterprise Virtual Array. You have an unsupported configuration. The minimum 8100 had two disk shelves and eight disks.

I imagine you have not been getting a response because everyone is waiting for someone who has dealt with an isolated controller to respond, and NO ONE has ever dealt with isolated controllers.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No offense, but all this is unsupported work. The EVA has not been designed to do maintenance that way.

Most of use simply have no experience with this, because the systems are in production use and we do not want to have any problems by going different, unintended ways. Then the service organisation tells us so and we are trouble...
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

It is ok.

I'm on the phone to someone that actually works for HP and seem to be making some progress.

The way of the world in IT is not always about what is written in black and white...it is obvious that a Controller pair with no disk enclosures attached is an 'unsupported configuration' and yes, my service management organisation would also be likely to grumble if I was attempting this in a live environment but I'm not, it's in a lab.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The EVA needs some disks to stored its own data. So without any disks you won't get this to work.

BTW, all the folks are trying to help you, assigning 0 points isn't really kind.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!