New Discussion юеВ

Using Single SMA for two EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jayaprakash Subramanian
Frequent Advisor

Using Single SMA for two EVA

Hello All,

I have 2 EVAs, EVA 4000 and EVA 6000. I need to manage the 2 EVA's in a single CV-EVA. I discovered the EVA on the SMA but the status shows "Storage System Not Responding".

As per the current setup, both the EVA's are managed by two SMA. We are planning to use a single SMA and poweroff the one SMA.

Now the EVA's are working fine with its own SMA's. But not working when I try to integrate both the EVA to a single SMA..

Is there anything to be done on the config side to make them work?. Please Advise.

Thanks,
Jayaprakash S
6 REPLIES 6
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

Re: Using Single SMA for two EVA

can you share the xcs and cveva versions,

there must be no problem if both evas can reach the cv eva server via SAN and zone config.

but in the first try cv eva will tell you that this new cveva is not the one that used to manage the eva, just say OK and manage the eva.

also the best way is to go to latest version of xcs and cveva sw
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jayaprakash,

SMA you are planning to use should have access to master controller of the EVA. As Mastership of controller can change due to various reasons, its good to have both controllers mapped to same zone as the SMA for each of the EVA. Once its done you will not have any issue in managing them with single CVEVA.

With regards
Hari
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Jayaprakash Subramanian
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Here the XCS and CV-EVA Version details

SMA1 (EVA6000)
XCS Version: XCS v6.220
CV EVA Version: v8.01

SMA2 (EVA4400)
XCS Version: XCS v6.220
CV EVA Version: v9.03.00

I need to manage the EVA1 on the SMA2.

Currently, both the controllers are mapped to the same zone.

Thanks,
Jayaprakash S
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Does SMA2 see the EVA1 controller Lun0 in the device manager ? if not it is probobly still a zoning issue. Try presenting a small lun using SMA1/EVA1 to SMA2, If it cannot see it, then you still have zoing problems.
Don Mallory
Trusted Contributor

Hi there,

I agree with Hari that having the array ports in the same zones as the SMA ports is a requirement, but would suggest you use "single-target, single-initiator" zoning instead of "single-host, multiple targe", "multiple-host, single target" or worst of all "multiple host, multiple targets" zoning.

It is a much better practice than grouped zoning. Yes, you need to allow all of the HBA ports on the SMA to see all of the front-end controller ports on the array, however I do not personally like them to be in a single zone.

The primary reason for this really comes down to control. It allows you to definitively diagnose single path issues, as well as reduce the impact of SCSI-bus reset type requests being broadcast to a single zone.

It is also a good idea to either shut down, or disable the zones for the second SMA managing the second EVA at the same time. (only use one SMA to manage both arrays at the same time) If you are still having issues using the preferred single SMA to manage both after shutting down the non-preferred EMA, do a restart of the preferred EMA and check again.

Said another way, as Hari noted, mastership of the controller is managed in different ways, but you cannot manage the same array controller with two SMAs at the same time. One must relenquish control to allow the other mastership.

Don't forget that you will need to apply the licenses for managing the additional EVA to your preferred SMA.

Regardless of whether a LUN is presented or not, you should be able to verify that the array is present from SANSurfer (Qlogic cards) or HBAAnyware/OneCommand (Emulex cards). Of course, if you can present a LUN to the host, you must have also added the host to the EVA, which means that zoning is likely not an issue because the array can already see the host.

I did see one very rare occurence whereby the array itself needed to be rebooted to see the other applicance, however this was on an EVA5k with an older firmware rev and older CommandView version, so it should not likely be the case.

I can't agree enough about going to the lastest version of CommandView.

Best regards,
Don
Jayaprakash Subramanian
Frequent Advisor

Hello All,

There exist a minor Zoning and Routing issue with the EVA and the issue is resolved now. Thanks all for your support and assistance.

Regards,
Jayaprakash S