New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCS XCS firmware query

SOLVED
Go to solution
PBateman_1
Occasional Contributor

VCS XCS firmware query

Hi experts,

I have been looking for and failed to find an HP document on XCS/VCS levels and the corresponding recommended disk firmware levels.
I am about to upgrade the firmware on a couple of EVAs and need to confirm best practise.
I saw another post with a link to such a document but the link was dead unfortunately.

Secondly I will be upgrading an EVA3000 from VCS 3.1 to 4.1 and saw a post which mentioned that the SAN cabling on the EVA3000 may need some reconfiguration as result of changes in the VCS level. Does anyone know if this is true or just misinformation?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Go to the Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge (SPOCK) website http://www.hp.com/storage/spock and check the "Compatibility Tool". The current disk FW bundle is at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267

With the change from active/passive to active/active, the EVA fibre cabling changes. With A/A, it's FP on one fabric, FP on the other.
And depending on what you are using for multipathing management, that also changes when you switch from A/P to A/A.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

PBateman_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sheldon.

I already ran my solution through SPOCK and it does not give a reference to EVA firmware levels and the associated disk firmware levels.

The EVA 3000 is running MPIO not secure path as it stands for multipathing.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

see

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&swItem=co-71198-1&prodNameId=3351789&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PBateman_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten

This link gives recommended disk firmware levels but not cross referenced against XCS/VCS levels.
I assume latest disk firmware is best. I was just cautious of a situation where for instance when I upgrade the EVA3000 to VCS 4.1 that it wouldn't be compatible with the very latest disk firmware.

Having read through the documentation for EVA firmware upgrade I have the following order of events in mind. I would appreciate comments on this process:

1. Upgrade to version 9.1 of Command View
2. Upgrade VCS level to 4.1
3. Upgrade disk firmware to latest level
4. Switch controller ports FP1 on both controllers to one FC fabric and controller ports FP2 to the other.
5. Assuming a valid version of MPIO is in place , this should complete the process.

The only doubt is should I switch the controller port physical cabling before upgrade or after?

Many thanks
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

try this, I think there is a slightly newer version around now but can't remember where I saw it.

There is a newer version from june 2009:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=321347

"HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array disk drive firmware support (576286-001, June 2009)"

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

"...[SPOCK] does not give a reference to EVA firmware levels and the associated disk firmware levels."

Not together, no. What it *does* show is the supported version(s) of EVA firmware to use when 'talking' to a particular OS, and what OS type (or infrequently custom code) should be used with that host.

I have yet to see a current disk firmware bundle that did NOT work with the supported EVA firmware version(s).

"The EVA 3000 is running MPIO..."

No, the EVA is runnng VCS. The Windows? hosts are running MPIO. Assuming you mean Windows, they are running Basic MPIO (for A/P). You also need to install Full MPIO for A/A.

"...I have the following order of events in mind."
Add the following steps:
Step 0: Install Full MPIO DSM and Full MPIO Manager.
Step 1.5: Shutdown servers.
Step 4.5: Update switch zones?
Step 4.9: Restart servers.

----------
"When you [...] view the answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10. To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply. Use the following scale when rating a response:

N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper! "

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo