HPE EVA Storage

VDisk Deleted accidentally

Alexander Smirnov

VDisk Deleted accidentally

Hi, we have 2 Storageworks P2000 MSA G3 that were recently purchased and this week, one of our technical staff accidentally deleted a vdisk (RAID5, 4 physical disks) with a built volume, so my question is - is it possible to recover the data, that volume was on?
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: VDisk Deleted accidentally

Hi,

I believe you are pretty screwed.

No backup?

Contact some company that does raid-rebuilds?
Maybe it would work if you re-create the vdisk/volume with the exact same specs? But I really doubt that would work..
Taurian
Valued Contributor

I don't think there is anyway to recover the complete data. Only partial data might be recovered, but I don't think that is of any use to you. The EVA makes disk allocation transparent for the user. Therefore, it is very hard to say if the same disks will be used if you make another vdisk.

Only way to get back on track is to make the vdisk again and recover from backup (if any).

Hope that helps,

Rgds,
Taurian.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

And the EVA is kind of similar to the P2000..
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Similar? An EVA Virtual Disk (VDisk) is something completely different than a P2000 Vdisk.

An EVA Disk Group does not provide RAID-redundancy, while the P2000 "vdisk" does.

An EVA Virtual Disk (VDisk) implements RAID-redundancy, while the P2000 Volume is just a capacity reservation from the "vdisk".
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Wonder who decided to change/keep the names on the msa2k - confusing..

Suspect this customer is going to have quite some problems getting that data back though.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA was started in the D|I|G|I|T|A|L/Compaq Storageworks Group.
The MSA2000 was a quick-buy from Dot-Hill and in V0.9 they only changed the logos.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

yeah, if you log on to the msa2k in the vls9k backend you can see the 'real' dothill interface ;)