HPE EVA Storage
1753550 Members
5520 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VNX5100 array raid group type 10, but which disks are primary?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

VNX5100 array raid group type 10, but which disks are primary?

OS is hpux11.3,  computer is rx2880-2, EMC array is Vnx5100 for block.

When making a raid group in EMC, I know I use Unisphere command line interface so I can specify the disks in a certain order.  I need to do this this because all the odd numbered disks on the list are the primary disks, and all the even numbered disks are the alternate disks. 

So I would run:     naviseccli  -h <emc_vnxarrya_spaA_ipaddress>   createrg  1   0_0_9  1_0_9 0_0_10 1_0_10

So disks 0_0_9 and 0_0_10 are the primaries, and 1_0_9 1_0_10 are the mirrors.

This means the primary disks are on the disk enclosure that has a ups inside EMC.  And the other two are NOT.

Fine fine fine.  That makes sense.  IF the unprotected disk array loses power, only the mirrors are affected.

Great.....  ...... pause.... HEY!   WAIT A MINUTE!   I have the raid group created months ago.  Did I use this command line interface or not?  If I used the fancy, recomended gui unisphere interface, was it smart enough to put the disk pairs (ie primary and mirror) on separate enclosures?   How do I know????

So that is my quesiton:    When I run   " naviseccli  getrg  1" I see a list of disks that are part of this raid group.  But I don't see anything that says which one is primary, and which one is a mirror?  How can I tell which disks are mirrors and which disks are primaries?

4 REPLIES 4
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hey Steve,

While you may find a few HP-UX forum memebers that double as EMC storage admins with VNX experience, I think you might find the EMC Powerlink a better place to post a question like this.  Just a suggestion!

Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I can try that.  But I believe pigs will fly before I get anything out there. Seeing questions posted years ago with no answers?  That's a clue to me.

(perhaps I need a pig catapult).

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Guess you have a point there!  Powerlink has always been a bit frustrating.  Maybe the storage forum will get you attention from some storage guys there. Lots of shops have a variety of arrays that they administer.

Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Ha!   I guess Pigs CAN fly.   I has been a while since I tried the EMC forums.  I asked my question and got an answer right away.

The order of the disks when running getrg will show whichs ones are primary and which ones are mirrors.  The bottom disk listed is the first disk that was entered, so that is a primary disk.  The second from the bottom is the mirror.  The 3rd from the bottom is a primary disk again.  The 4th is a mirror again. the .....you get the idea.

So what does this mean?   For me....the disks in the main enclosure start with 0_0_#.  The extra enclosure is 1_0_#.  And I have disks like.....

1_0_12 mirror   4th last

1_0_13 primary  3rd last

0_0_12 mirror    2nd last

0_0_13  primary last

So I expected the mirrors to be on one enclosure, 1_0_#, and the primaries to be on the other guy 0_0_#.  Well?  It's not.  This means that I want to rebuildi when I can in the furutre.  I should double check.  I was pretty sure I carefuly added the disks in the proper order. 

Their forum?   https://community.emc.com