HPE EVA Storage

VSS enabled snapshot

Brent Nussbaum
Occasional Contributor

VSS enabled snapshot

Hello,
We have been running on our SAN's for a year now, and are now looking at putting our exchange server on them. We would like to enable VSS provider snapshots, however we are concerned about a section in the install guide. It states you need to run the authentication install tool first. Is this the username we created to login to the management console. Can we setup VSS after we already have luns created on our system?
2 REPLIES 2
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Re: VSS enabled snapshot

When I tested it on mine, the authentication tool lets you specify admin credentials for each management group that your LUNs are part of.

When I was testing I installed the VSS tools way after my management group and LUNs were created and assigned.

The only problem I encountered was that I only had SQL 2008 Express installed and I don't think it reports the database and log volumes correctly.
Brent Nussbaum
Occasional Contributor

Re: VSS enabled snapshot

Thanks for the info. One last question. We installed the VSS provider on our server 2008 r2 machine, however it is not letting us do a VSS snapshot. It says it can't communicate with the application server. We have our management group setup in the authentication console with the admin username and password. The only thing I can thin kis that the COmputer may be trying to use the Local network, where as the SAN's reside on their own network,and each server has an IP address on that network. Is that what is keeping this from communicating. Is there any better documentation than the user guide for Windows solution pack? That pretty much tells you what to install and how to put the authentication in. It doesn't say anything about how the servers communicate with each other to get the information.