108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vdisk total/used/free space monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Rasmussen [FAU]
Frequent Advisor

Vdisk total/used/free space monitoring

Short of using Windows Perfmon or some sort of 3rd party tool/utility to monitor the logical disks presented to a host, what monitoring is possible at the SAN level re vdisk total size, used space and free space?

I see EVAPerf can provide a whole raft of useful info but, as suggested by the name, it's performance-related, not usage-related.

Can I monitor/report on vdisk usage using an HP tool? I'm on the SAN team and not the Wintel team so I don't have local access to the hosts and their drives, hence why this needs to be done at SAN level.
7 REPLIES 7
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Re: Vdisk total/used/free space monitoring

why do u want to monitor the "usage" of the logical disks at the host ?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

if you mean Filesystem Monitoring, then that's the Wintel Team's job :-)
From Command View EVA, you can only see how much of your Disk Groups are occupied with Vdisks, and what size those Vdisks are. The EVA doesn't know what sort of filesystem is on the Vdisk or how full each Vdisk is, it just provides a bunch of blocks.

Regards,
Stephen
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

"...HP tool?" Sure. See HP's Storage Essentials: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/software/bto/srmgt/index.html

Note that it STILL requires an agent to be installed on each Wintel host. Only the host knows what is going on *inside* the vdisk.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Chris Rasmussen [FAU]
Frequent Advisor

That's cool - you've both confirmed what I suspected.

Re "why" I want to monitor the vdisk usage, it's because I'm a proactive guy and if I can be alerted on a disk getting near full before the Wintel guys know, it makes me look good. :-P
Chris Rasmussen [FAU]
Frequent Advisor

Stephen Kebbell and Sheldon Smith both provided info in a useful and helpful way - points awarded appropriately. Thanks for the quick responses.
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

HP SIM (Insight Manager) can give reports of space used/free/total on SAN disks as well as local disks. Your server guys may use this tool for monitoring their HP servers!.
Chris Rasmussen [FAU]
Frequent Advisor

That's the whole point though - I don't want to get the disk usage from the servers, I want to get it from the SAN *directly* if possible.

Monitoring the servers requires Windows credentials that I don't have (and don't want). Yes I know SIM would be setu with the appropriate credentials but the fewer devices I go through to get this information, the more my team can do without talking to the Windows guys.