Re: Virtual Disk Status Critical

SOLVED
Go to solution
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Virtual Disk Status Critical

Afternoon.

virtual disk status critical

We have an MSA2012FC with 3 x MSA2000 Drive Enclosures. Accidentally powered down one of the drive enclosures and one of the controllers in a test environment and now the only active 300GB SAS drive that was part of a RAID5 set in the powered down enclosure has an orange light. We have since replicated this same scenario by deleting the critical VDisk, creating another one and stretching a RAID5 set across drive enclosures using different disks, and get the same results as below after a power down;

-The Storage Management Utility, Virtual Disk Overview & Drive List identify the VDisk status as 'Critical', and it claims that the drive is not found.
-The Enclosure view lists it's now part of VDisk 'Leftover'.
-The 'rescan for devices' still identifies the physical disk as being there.

Any advice on how to recover from this please? Tried replacing the disks (even though we know 100% they haven't failed) and only succeed in seeing their VDisk status as 'Available'.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
meredith  shaebanyan
Occasional Advisor

Any luck on this? I'm getting the same "VDisk Leftover" on one of my disks -- googled around and didn't find much info.

Same model: MSA2012fc, 2x drive enclosures. The disk giving the message is on the second enclosure.

Regards,
Meredith Shaebanyan
Bechir Bjaoui
Occasional Advisor

Hi David,

if you are using the last firmware version for controller J200P19 ,try to verify if you are using the some IO module firmware on for entire enclosure. there 2 version avalible: 0200B29 and 0300b19, the mix opf the 2 version can cause loss of acces on disks or all enclosure:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3687115&swItem=co-64568-1&prodNameId=3687119&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

else upgare all IO module to 0300B19, on Hp website the 2firmware have the same date but it is confusion between the 2 is given by a wrong date in the link. 0300B19 is the latest version and the difference between the 2 is that the latest has critical support for the MSA2000sa.
Spares and new enclosures will be releasing with 0300B19 so upgrading everything to this version would be recommended.

3- if the problem still, contact HP support ans send them log. it can be a bug that should be fixed on new release.

Regards,

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

> so upgrading everything to this version would be recommended.

No, it is not!! This is a 2000fc which is not compatible with Enclosure firmware 30xx.

c01572892 - ADVISORY: HP StorageWorks MSA2000 disk enclosures might have different firmware versions
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3687128&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01572892

This will be interesting for support if *all* new enclosures are really delivered with 30xx firmware. I've just checkd the fc/i/sa quickspecs and all list the same model numbers right now.
david_nelson

I had the same problem on a MSA2012i - you need to clear the metadata on the leftover disk (utilities menu - puts it in a ready state), then add it to a global spare (v disk config menu).
The disk group will now automatically start rebuilding.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Primergy/Install/Technical-Informs/SX-Disk-replacement.pdf

David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Downgrading the enclosure firmware to the 200x version was successful, but it does not fix the problem when the drive enclosures are powered down - We are still losing VDisks and the drives being marked as 'leftover'.

Thanks.
David.Dimbleby
Advisor