New Discussion юеВ

Volume copy size versus speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Volume copy size versus speed

Hi,

We're currently testing volume copy on a 50gb volume with 12gb used space. Does the time it takes to take the copy vary depending on the contents?

It's currently taking 1 hour 15 minutes to do the above but if the data size doubles would the time double or is the volume copy always scanning the entire 50gb?

Many thanks
Jase
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Volume copy size versus speed

Any array based volume operation is done on the entire volume. The array does not have any information on the server partitions, filesystems and data that are laid on these volumes. The copying is done block by block on the volume.

If you run another test with the same 12GB out of 50GB, you will probably notice a different time. This depends on the array i/o activity. While doing the volume copy the array continues to provide server i/o, so the server i/o activity will affect the volume copy times.
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Excellent. At least I now know that should the data double in size that the time it takes won't (by default)

Thanks
Jase
TTr
Honored Contributor

It is very easy to test this. Create a junk subdirectory and add another 12GB of files. Then run the volume copy again.
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

That was my thought after your post :)

Cheers
Jase