1752782 Members
6122 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: W2K8 Server cannot see any LUNs on HP P2000 MSA SAN

Sam Lloyd

W2K8 Server cannot see any LUNs on HP P2000 MSA SAN

Hi,

I am struggling to get a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server to see a volume I have created on a P2000 G3 FC/iSCSI san. The server is a DL380 G5, with a HP Dual Port HBA (AP770A). I have one fiber cable going into port A1 and the other cable going into port B1 on the P2000 (one cable in each controller). The Link lights on the HBA and P2000 Controllers are solid green and displaying 8GB.

I have installed the latest HBA drivers and the Host Connectivity Manager on the W2K8 server.

I do not have a fiber switch between the server and the SAN, so it is direct attached.

I have installed the Windows 2008 MPIO feature. I have run the following commands on the server:

ocsetup multipathio /norestart

mpclaim -n -i -a

I have also run mpclaim -r -i -d "HP MSA2" (the gap has 6 spaces)

I have also added "HP MSA2 16" to the MPIO GUI. (8 characters and 16 characters)

I also read on the forums about running mpclaim -r -i -d "HP P2", which I have done. (the gap has 6 spaces)

I have disabled the firewall on W2K8.

I have installed the HP DSM Manager but nothing is displayed. Everything I've read says that the Windows 2008 MPIO software should work.

On the SAN itself I have created a host for each port on the HBA (e.g. Server1a WWPN 1000000xxx98, Server1b WWPN 1000000xxx99). I have created a RAID 5 vdisk with a 1GB volume. That volume has been mapped to Server1a and Server1b via the A1 and B1 port numbers on the controller. Everything on the SAN is showing green and no errors. The connection mode for the A1, A2, B1, and B2 ports are set to auto (other choices were Loop and Point-to-Point). I assume it is using Point-to-Point. I have also tried setting it to point-to-point.

I have updated the firmware on the P2000 controllers to the latest version.

I've rebooted the server numerous times and rescanned the disks in Disk Management on the W2K8 server, but no LUNs are listed.

When I run mpclaim -e it states there is no enterprise storage connected to the system.

The following minor error appears in the HCM Application Log:

"Failed to fetch the target attributes for Rport = 20:70:00:xx:xx:xx:B6:EF. LUN details cannot be queried"

"Failed to fetch the target attributes for Rport = 24:70:00:xx:xx:xx:B6:EF. LUN details cannot be queried"

The WWNs above are the WWNs of the P2000 controllers, so I know the server can see the SAN.

Is there something I have missed? I am running out of ideas and pages on the internet.

My intention is to cluster 2 D380 G5 servers using the san as shared storage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
6 REPLIES 6
Sam Lloyd

Hi,

I have managed to set up connectivity between the server and the SAN using iSCSI. The server can see the LUNs using iSCSI, so I know the SAN is configured and working.

The issue seems to be the fiber connectivity between the two devices. I'd rather use Fiber Channel over iSCSI.

I think the following errors in the Host Connectivity Manager on the server is the cause of the problem, but I haven't been able to find anything on what these errors mean.

The errors are:

"Failed to fetch the target attributes for Rport = 20:70:00:xx:xx:xx:B6:EF. LUN details cannot be queried"

"Failed to fetch the target attributes for Rport = 24:70:00:xx:xx:xx:B6:EF. LUN details cannot be queried"

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful as I've spent a few days trying to figure it out.

Thanks,
Sam
Squ1d

Hello
I am seeing the same issue on a different O/S. The HCM utility is reporting the same error message.I have a D380 server a P2000 disk array directly attached and it is the Brocade re-branded HBA. Any advice here would be appreciated.
Thank you
Diana Bunch

I can't answer for the rest, however you need to run command line as administrator for the mpclaim command
Sam Lloyd

My issue was down to the physical HBA card (AP770A)in the server, which was a rebranded brocade HBA.

I swapped it for another card (QLogic) and it worked first time with the Windows 2008 MPIO software, etc.
Thomas Kappfjell
Occasional Advisor

HP 82B/81B Brocade 825/815 PCIe 8Gb AP770A Direct Connect Support:No

HP 82Q/81Q Qlogic and 82E/81E Emulex adapter Direct Connect Support:Yes

Had to learn the hard way as well :(
Thomas Kappfjell
Occasional Advisor

Usefull tool is:

HP StorageWorks SPOCK
Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge for HP Storage Products