HPE EVA Storage
1753283 Members
5397 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Weird: Missing EVA Disk Enclosure in Command View.

ALCS
Regular Advisor

Weird: Missing EVA Disk Enclosure in Command View.

Hi,

I appreciate feedabck for the following
EVA5K 2C4D issue:

One of the four enclosures (which is the bottom enclosure, #1 on enclosure LCD)
does not appear at all in command view, only the other three (#2, #8 & #9) appear in the hardware view of CV

The missing enclosure (which make this weird) does not even appear in the "Unmapable Hardware" view - which is totally empty.

I first suspected the EMU & EMU cable
but after swapping them, problem persisted.

Now from the operational point, all the disks within this enclusure are functional and are all seen from the Disk group properties.

The EVA Icon within CV is all green.
the enclosure EMU (& I/O module) does not show any anomaly.

The EVA is at VCS 3.014 and CV was updated to CV4.1 to prepare the VCS upgrade to 3.028

I wonder if there is a potential risk to do the upgrade at this stage especially that a disk firmware upgrade will be done after the VCS.

I do appreciate feedback on this.

Thanks & regards
Farid
Keep it simple
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This problem normally occurs when your disk enclosure does not has an address bus assigned (EAB), can you see that the enclosure has an ID? Check the juncktion boxes and cables.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
ALCS
Regular Advisor

yes it does show "1" on the LCD
and if you remove the cable it shows "0" as one expects.

Can it be the bottom terminator ?

Regards,
Farid
Keep it simple
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

Hi

Did the problem appear after upgrading CV? Or was it already there?
Did you upgrade the firmware to 3.014 or has it been there for some time?

I've seen something similar when upgrading EVA firmware, when upgrading the EMU's.
I assume you're using an Appliance, and if this is true, try to stop/start CV or reboot Appliance if possible.

Bye,

Ricardo
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"

I dont think it is the Bottom terminator issue. In that case it might have not assaigned the shelf IDs to the enclosures.

Any way, did u find any changes in the CV after swaping the EMUs?.Did the Shelf IDs changed in CV?

Hope you restarted the CV service/ or rebooted the Appliance after upgradation.

Please check and let us know.
ALCS
Regular Advisor

Thank you guys for your response,

The problem has been there since VCS v2.006
I have time ago upgraded to VCS3.014 but problem persisted.

Yesterday, before upgrading the EVA
I have cold swapped the EMUs and EAB to EMU cable, then upgraded to v3.028 followed by a disk firmware.
I have noticed that while the EMUs were upgraded two of them showed a "PF" status with a an orange led for a few seconds, but after that they stabilized and finished the upgrade with the normal ID number like the other two (In my case ID1 & ID9 did that, while ID2 & ID8 showed normal behaviour)

I have also noticed few minutes after the upgrade, that few disks were seen in CV unmapable hardware but after few minutes they reestablish themselves within their enclosure and nothing remained in the unmappable hardware. (CV EVA Sign all green)

Unfortuntely the missing enclosure still did not appear any where (as before)

Just as if CV does not know it is present.
by the way, I have quick restored the SMA
then upgraded the CV to 3.1 > 3.3 > 4.1 > 4.1.2 before the VCS upgrade - so it is definetly not a CV issue.

On the other hand the disks within this missing enclosure can be seen and ungrouped from the Disk Group properies.

I start to believe that it is a VCS v2 issue which is inherited by VCS v3

Appreciated your feedback.

Farid

Keep it simple