1753365 Members
5955 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What tool to use to configure Q logic HBA on Window

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

What tool to use to configure Q logic HBA on Window

I wanted to see WWN number, to setup Fabric type, and speed etc.

I thought there should be a tool to run on Window servers, and I can use the tool to configure the hba, but I could not find it.

Any idea? Thanks,
none
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: What tool to use to configure Q logic HBA on Window

It is called "SAN Surfer" and in the HP download section for QLogic Fibre Channel Adapters.
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

But, I don't see SAN Surfer installed on this Window, how was this HBA configured though?

Is SAN Surfer for any type of QLogic HBA on any hardware?

I don't see SAN Surfer, or any program in "All programs".
none
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

HBA's default settings are enough for you to connect them to any SAN Switch or Storage therefore SANSurfer is an option to install. SANSurfer can show/change HBA hardware parameters but in most of the cases you don't need to modify anything.

To see the HBA WWN, apart from SANSurfer, you can see it from the SAN Switch also. e.g. on Brocade switches use the command "switchshow" and it will list all the ports with attached device's WWN.

Download SANSurfer:
http://support.qlogic.com/support/oem_product_detail.asp?p_id=253&oemid=372&oemname=QLA2340

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

two questions about SanSurfer:

1. I know that I don't have to have it, but should I installed on all windows with HBA?

2. I know I can use SanSurfer to upgrade the HBA firmware, do I have to reboot the server, if I do the upgrade?

Thanks,
none
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

ALSO, withought SanSurfer, how do I find out topology configured on HBA?
none
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

1. Yes, on all servers with QLogic adapters where you want to use the utility. There is also some remote support feature available, but I don't recall I have ever used it.

2. No, I don't think so. Last time I did it, the adapter was automatically reset.

3. During POST (Power-On Self Test) of the server, you can use or to enter a maintenance program that is stored on the adapter. From there you can verify/alter some parameters like the topology and you can do a fabric scan for attached storage devices and their LUNs.
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Uwe,

I am sorry, I should collet all questions together, but, what are reasons I need to install SanSurfer?

I want to install, but folks here are saying, we have not had any problems without using this utility, so why do we need it?

none
KurtG
Regular Advisor

As long as install the hba drivers found on the HP website you should (generally) have no need for Sansurfer.

HP drivers has the parameters HP recomend set up by default.

KurtG
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"what are reasons I need to install SanSurfer?"

As stated, you do not "need" to install SanSurfer. It is a management utility that allows you to perform takes like upgrading the firmware, stoping and starting the HBA (soft offline/online), set persistant bindings and see general information about the devices that the HBA can access.

"I want to install, but folks here are saying, we have not had any problems without using this utility, so why do we need it?"

Again, don't "need" it. It is simply a tool to have for management/troubleshooting.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)