HPE EVA Storage
1753770 Members
5103 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why WWPN of the controller required for SAN boot/ wat is the use of WWN when we use only WWPN?

SOLVED
Go to solution
narendrakumarg
Occasional Contributor

Why WWPN of the controller required for SAN boot/ wat is the use of WWN when we use only WWPN?

Am new to storage...
Why controller WWPN is required for SAN boot? (Through VCM we provide controller WWPN) Can we just present a LUN in EVA and make the LUN bootable without providing controller WWPN? Any way?

I have one more question.

Why are we having WWN for a HBA/EVA when we will use only WWPN of it? If it is not used any where, are we not wasting one WWN number for it?
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Why WWPN of the controller required for SAN boot/ wat is the use of WWN when we use only WWPN?

"Can we just present a LUN in EVA and make the LUN bootable without providing controller WWPN? Any way?"

No. In order to "find and identify" LUN's available for booting... the server needs to know where to look. (i.e., "Which Storage Array has my bootable LUN?")

"Why are we having WWN for a HBA/EVA when we will use only WWPN of it? If it is not used any where, are we not wasting one WWN number for it?"

I assume that you are referring to the difference between WW "node" name and WW "port" name... ?

A device is a node. It needs an "address"

A port on that device also needs an address since there could be multiple ports available... (I.E. an EVA8000 has 8 ports. The Node Name ends with 0 while the ports end with 8,9,A,B,C,D,E and F)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SunnyS
Advisor

Well, as per FC spec, each FC port must have a PWWN and a NWWN. Also, as per FC spec, PWWN must be globally unique. However, NWWN need not be unique. So, it is entirely possible that multiple ports on a given controller may have the same NWWN. But they must have different (and globally unique) PWWNs.
narendrakumarg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sunny and Steven.
@ Sunny: But is there any use of WWN of the node? I have not seen its use any where.
SunnyS
Advisor
Solution

NWWN is useful for SAN management applications. Here is an example of a controller with 4 ports and their NWWNs & PWWNs.

FC port #1 has NWWN-1 and PWWN-1.
FC port #2 has NWWN-1 and PWWN-2.
FC port #3 has NWWN-1 and PWWN-3.
FC port #4 has NWWN-1 and PWWN-4.

As you can see with the same NWWN, it is trivial for SAN management applications/software to figure out that all these 4 FC ports actually belong to the same "node".

This is just one example. There are other uses for it as well.
narendrakumarg
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Sunny, can you please share a doc which gives a clear basic understanding of SAN.

Thanks,
Narendra
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I don't think you'll find anything thats "clear and basic"

A SAN is... a Storage Area Network. Just like a LAN is a Local Area Network that interconnects different computers and computer resources (Printers, other networks, the Internet, etc.).. a SAN interconnects various storage related resources to various servers that need access to those devices. Storage devices include Storage Arrays, Tape Libries and/or Silos, iSCSI/FCiP gateways, etc.

You can start here...

The HP SAN Design Guide:
" http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf "

It's not clear and basic, but it does have some explainations of things.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)