HPE EVA Storage

Will P2000G3 work with EMC PowerPath software?

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Will P2000G3 work with EMC PowerPath software?

We have a Windows 2003 R2 cluster set up attached to an EMC Clariion array. It's using the EMC PowerPath 5.3 multipathing software.

We've just purchased one of the HP P2000G3 fiber channel units. One of the things we want to do is attach some of the P2000 storage to the existing server. It's going to be used as some additional storage, it's not replacing the current SAN attachment.

What I'm trying to find out is if the EMC PowerPath software will properly work with the multiple paths to the P2000 LUNs.

I contacted EMC, and their answer is that it's "not supported". They said it may work, but they can't guarantee that it won't cause any issues with the primary SAN storage.

Any information would be appreciated.
Mike O.
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Will P2000G3 work with EMC PowerPath software?

Hi,

I don't think Powerpath supports that array. It only supports EMC-Arrays (Clariion/Symmetrix)
Some (older) versions of PP could support some 3rd-party arrays, but not the P2000 from HP. Go to EMC Powerlink and check the release notes for Powerpath to see exactly what arrays are supported.
You will probably need to install the MPIO DSM for the P2000
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4118563&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118559&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

But I am not sure if both multipathing software packages will work together. They should, as they only control multipathing to LUNs that they can recognise.
So Powerpath will only recognise "DGC RAID" devices, and should ignore the HP ones.
I've also heard that different multipathing software modules are only "offically supported" on the same server if there are separate HBAs for each storage type.
You could try and see if both MPIO and PP can co-exist, and you should also test failover and failback of paths.

Regards,
Stephen
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I had checked with the EMC release notes, interoperability matrix, etc. but I didn't see anything on the P2000 either way. I was hoping that it would be compatible, and they had just not updated the documentation yet..

I didn't realize it was even possibly to have two multipathing systems on the same server.

In a related note, we have an HP blade environment with some BL465C blades running VMWare 4.0. They're currently using storage on the EMC CX700. Do you think we would have problems adding storage from the P2000 to the mix? It's using the VMWare built in multipath software, not Powerpath.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

I don't think it should be a problem for VMware.
We have several VMware (3.x) servers using CX700, HDS AMS1000 and EMC Symmetrix storage, but none are mixed.
But if the storage array is supported by VMware's native mutlipathing, then I can't see any problems.
Just make sure your SAN zoning is set up correctly. Best practice it to create single-initiator to single-target zones. As a minimum you should have single-initiator zoning.

Regards,
Stephen
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks. We've always used the single initiater/single target configuration for our SAN zoning.

The HP P2000 G3 is on the VMWare compatibility matrix, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Owais-Hyder

Hello Mike,

Did you get any solution? I have a similar scenario, I have a Power-Edge R900 Server connected via FC to CX3-20C using EMC Power Path Multipath software 5.3. We bought a New P2000 FC Array and need to add LUNs from it to R900.

I can add two new FC HBAs to it, is it possible to use these HBAs for P2000's LUNs mpio separately?

Or the EMC Power path will work for it?

For both storages we have separate redundant switches.

Regards,

Owais