HPE EVA Storage
1748080 Members
5370 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 dosn't regonise any volume on the MSA2000fc (help plz)

Yassine_Safi
Frequent Visitor

Windows 2003 dosn't regonise any volume on the MSA2000fc (help plz)

Hello everyone,

In our buisness, we got a SAN storage MSA2000 directely connected to a Windows 2003 server with fibere channel. We configure it to have 16 volume. It was working fine untile this weekend we had a power breakdown on the building.

When everything was got in order, we start the msa and the windows server, everything on the msa seem to look good, but on the windows sever it look like the system dosn't regonize the msa's partition anymore. indeed, in the disk manager we can see the volume but without the drive lettre, and If we force any one of the lun to take a lettre the system tell me that I need to format this partition before I use it.

please is there any way to make it work again, or unless recover data from partitions.

I'm despret please help me.

Yassine

6 REPLIES 6
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

hi, have you tried a reboot of the server since the MSA came up? What is the status of the LUN in disk manager, online, offline? By direct attached I presume you have no FC switch, is the server connected to both MSA controllers?

Hello 

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

Rather than the SAN controllers I would try a reboot of the server as windows can be a bit strange sometimes, also you could try checking the disks from a command prompt,

• Open Command Prompt.

• Type:

diskpart

• At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list volume

Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select volume n

Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:

• assign letter=L

Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.

• remove letter=L

Where L is the drive letter you want to remove.

Hello again,

Yes, I also suspected the windows server, so I reboot it several time and no result. 

On the disk manager I tried to force one of the volume to get a lettre, no error was prompt up but whene I tried to access the volume it ask me to format it, what I couldn't do because I need the data in all the volums. 

I also tried the diskpart utility like you suggest, same result as on the disk manager.

Yassine

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

assuming the MPIO drivers are ok on the server, if you post the .log file from the MSA I'll see if the MSA looks healthy or has any clues. Select Manage > Utilities > Debug Utilities > Save Logs To File

Ok I'll do that and I come back to you