4925 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2008 R2 showing Test Mode after installing HP MPIO

prmarques
Occasional Advisor

Windows 2008 R2 showing Test Mode after installing HP MPIO

Hello all.

Where implementing for production an EVA4400 with C7000 blade system.

Everything is running smoothly appart from a weird thing that happened yesterday. We initialized the EVA4400 and created a LUN for a Failover Cluster Quorum. We then installed the latest MPIO downloaded from HP website.

After reboot, a funny message is showing on the desktop (watermark) of our 2 cluster nodes blades. It is showing Test Mode.

From what I could find, it appears that the drivers we installed from HP are not digitally signed, and in W2k8 R2, digitally signed drivers is enforced.

Question is: how do I remove that thing out of my desktops?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Landrew09
Advisor

I have the same symptom on a production Windows 2008 R2 x64 blade server on which I have MPIO software and a few LUNs presented.
Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
I've used th latest HP drivers in buildign this server and it is fully activated via our KMS so activation does not seem to be the problem...
Landrew09
Advisor

Oh yeah, here's what this issue looks like on my server's desktop
Gilbert Plouffe
Advisor

I am also having this problem

you can run this command to remove the message

Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Reboot the server or pc and the test mode should go away.

On the server side could you let me know witch version of MPIO you are running.
Gilbert Plouffe
Advisor

Finally find out what cause my problem.

After TS, I found out that the MPIO Client v401 was the culprit component.

On June 2010 I have downloaded the MPIO Client v401. I usually wait a couple of months before testing and put in production. My Fault, I did not tested and decided to put my confident on HP testing. Bad move. When I implemented the new version, the ├в Test Mode├в status appear immediately on the server.

My opinion is that HP publishes the wrong driver on their website (driver not signed).

I went back to the website and no new update was available, but strangely the file download name change (they add an "a" at the end of the file). I extract the file and notice that all files creation was updated to September 2010. HP should have sent a customer notice.
Here how to fix the problem (W2K8)
1. un-Install MPIO client v 401 (Version with file created on June 2010).
2. Used this command to remove the testmode on the server "bcdedit /deletevalue testsigning"
3. Reboot server and the Test mode will disappear.
4. Upload MPIO client 401 (HpMpioDSMForEVA_v4.01.00a.zip)
5. Extract/install/reboot server and everything will be ok.
Landrew09
Advisor

Gilbert,
Thanks for following up on this post, glad you found the solution. I have to say, I've seen HP "re-release" updates like this before. Sometimes, the release notes provide a clue as to what was modified, sometimes not...