1753278 Members
5405 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows can't format EVA LUN

thom_14
Regular Advisor

Windows can't format EVA LUN

I have an EVA 8400, I've created and presented A 500gGb lun to a Win2k3 box. I can see the LUN in Disk Manager, and I can initialize the new drive, but when I try to format the drive, I get "The operation was canceled due to an internal error"

I've tried rebooting and cussing at it in various languages.

I'm not a Windows guy; I have lots of LUNs on this same EVA presented to Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and ESX boxes just fine. We have other windows boxes with LUNs from this EVA, which work fine. I tried with another windowz box and it didn't work either, so it has to be something I'm doing.

I'm right-clicking "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management, and trying to operate on the new disk that corresponds to the LUN I created. I've tried deleting and re-discovering, too. Still doesn't work.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Thom, I will suggest to look at the LUN/Vdisk settings on the EVA. Is Write-Protect enabled (check it under VDisk tab)? and have you selected right OS-Type for the Windows (check it under under host tab).
thom_14
Regular Advisor

The host type is correct, and the other win box on which I'd tried already has a LUN from this EVA.

For fun, I un-presented that LUN (we'll call it LUN A) and created and presented a new LUN (LUN B) from a *different* EVA and it failed in the same manner.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Thom,

i have seen this happening when there is no multipath software installed on the Windows server. So can you check if you have added the EVA MPIO DSM on this server ?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=421494&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492тМй=en&cc=us

HTH

Kris
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Make sure that latest HBA driver installed on the machine and install MPIO 4.0 and try the format after reboot of the server. You may need the windows hotfix KB932755 while updating the HBA driver.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&prodNameId=421494&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-75086-1

I would like to know that HBA Model. If it is a Brocade HBA then there is some issue with the SFP on the HBA. We need to replace the SFP of HBA with proper part number. It will not complete the format of more than 50GB LUN.

Below is one of the article written for Linux but we have verified same issue with Windows 2003/2008 also.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3662826&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c02176966

Please note that above article applicable for 4Gb Brocade HBA Installed.

Thanks,
Siva
thom_14
Regular Advisor

This system previously had a LUN of 750Gb, IIRC, and it has the MPIO stuff installed.

It's a Qlogic HBA; I'm trying to figure out what the exact model is.