HPE EVA Storage

X5500/EVA4400/Cluster Config

Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

X5500/EVA4400/Cluster Config

I am in the process of setting-up the cluster on a X5500 Cluster Gateway/Linux SUSE server connected to an EVA4400 and StorageWorks 4-32 FC Switch. Per verifying my SAN configuration via "sandiskinfo -ual", I pop a warning stating "WARNING: This server is not currently an active member of the SAN.". I have defined cluster servers as hosts on EVA4400 and have created and presented 3 vdisk/membership partitions. I have created zones on 4-32 switch but problem remains even when 4-32 is running default config. Is there something else I need to do on the 4-32 switch to allow cluster servers to be SAN members?
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: X5500/EVA4400/Cluster Config

Whan you created the host profiles in Command View... did you type in the WWID's of the HBA's for each host? or select them from a drop down list?

When you created the zones on the SAN Switch(es), did you add those zones to the configuration and "enable" the configuration?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

In Command View, I selected the cluster server HBA WWN's from the drop-down list, one at a time.

Yes, the problem remains weather or not the zone configuration is enabled, using cfgenable and cfgdisable commands. I have it disabled for now, as I probably do not want to lock down ports until this is resolved.

I have even added the 4-32 switch as a host and that had no effect.

Attached is a snapshot of the cluster gateway servers along with the 3 (presented) membership vdisks/partitions.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Can you attach the output of the following commands from the 4/32 switch...

switchshow
zoneshow
version
fabricshow

Also, I know it sounds weird, but double check the hba ports you added to the host profiles in Command View. If you can attach a screenshot of the wwid's associated with each host.. (The Ports tab)

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

Steven, your review if very much appreciated. Attached is a text file containing the output to the requested commands, plus snapshots of the cluster server host profile port info.

It looks like I can only attach one attachment at a time, so here is the switch command output.

I will confirm the cluster server HBA WWN's in the host profile against what is defined on the switch. I know they need to match.
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

I may have found the step I am missing, as I have created the LUNs in Command View but have not yet created partitions on the LUNs. It looks like this is done on the cluster server, using fdisk is similar tool. Did you have to manually create partitions on the LUNs created in CV?

I double checked my WWN's in host profiles against 4-32 switch and all seem to be okay. Does upper -vs- lowercase matter? I don't think so.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you selected them from the drop down, then it should not matter.

I'll review the files shortly.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

I found the step I was missing, was at the Linux level. I had to use Fdisk to create a partition on the disk. Once a created the partition via fdisk in Linux, I was able to move forward with my configuration.