5999 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XCS 09534000 EVA 4400: Only one controller managing all vdisks

Matthias Zahn_1
Advisor

XCS 09534000 EVA 4400: Only one controller managing all vdisks

HI,

yesterday, I had installed XCS 09534000 on our EVA 4400. Before, I had upgraded our Command View to 9.21 and the Class-C Brocade's to 6.22c. We had 4 ESX 3.5 U5 (with latest QLogic Driver from 24.6.2010), Mulitpath is set to round robin) and one Win2008 Server (with latest HP MPIO DSM). The Eva is accessed over 4 pathes.

We have 2 groups with 6 Vdisks (the 2nd FATA-Group only have one VDISk)

The problem: Today I found, only one Controller manage all vDisk's ? Before, with XCS 099522000, our EVA has distribute the vdisk's to both controllers. I had already reset both controllers (with a successfully ownership movement).

And, also the FATA-Group with one Vdisk will be managed by the same contoller. This VIDSK is only presented to a WIndows 2008 server with HP's MPIO DSM solutions with all possible pathes (ALB enabeld).

5 REPLIES 5
Rajs
Frequent Advisor

Re: XCS 09534000 EVA 4400: Only one controller managing all vdisks

Hi,

If cache batteries on one controller fails ownership of all VDISKs will be taken over by other controller. Also, if you have restart one controller ownership will be transfered to other controller. I think this will not come back even after second controller becomes functional. You may have to manually change the ownership using CV EVA.
Matthias Zahn_1
Advisor

hi,

both cache batteries are functional and loaded. All is "green". I had wait already over some hours. Controller ownership can't be changed manually.

Yesterday, after the online upgrade, the EVA still use the "old" ownships. But over th night, it had been changed the ownership very often. And today in the morning, all vdisk has been managed by only one controller.

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Matthias,

we have similar setup with EVA 6000.
I would recommend to upgrade your ESX enviroment to latest ESX4 update 2. It works much better with EVA, multipath is really working, there are newer qlogic drivers (inbox), lot of new features, etc.
Or do you have any cons for ESX4? It is really good forking product, really good experience including cooperation with DataProtector 6.11.
There is even best practises guide how to setup ESX4xx with EVAxxxx.
Could you consider it?

Jan
Matthias Zahn_1
Advisor

Hello Jan,

no cons; only pros ;)

Currently i miss the time for that...
But, the year is not over.

Meanwhile, one Vdisk has been moved to the other controller...
pinkerton
Advisor

Matthias, have you managed to solve this?