108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Zoning newbie question...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Kleiner
Advisor

Zoning newbie question...

Hi, We are using C-class enclosure with a brocade 4GB switch and connectivity to MSA 2212fc. We can see our storage fine and have been using it for 1.5 years. We are just getting around to setting up zoning and I really have no idea where to start. From the brocade GUI, I can see where I can set up a zone, but I am in a situation where I want some blades to see luns and not others, etc. I know that I can do this at the MSA GUI, but I thought zoning would do the same. In the brocade GUI, I don't see where I can specify which luns to put into which zone.

Am I just not getting the idea, or am I missing something? Any starting pointers would be very helpful....

thanks...
2 REPLIES 2
Ken Kleiner
Advisor

Re: Zoning newbie question...

might have answered my own question by talking to a colleague.

I need to zone on the switch to control who sees the MSA, but I need to do volume mapping on the MSA itself to control who sees the luns....

If I'm wrong, please correct me. thanks.
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Zoning newbie question...

Spot on advice.
Zoning on the switch allows you to control which devices can talk to each other. General recomendation is that you should create a zone for each host and the storage. This means that each host can see the storage but cant interfere with each other.

On the storage side you use selective presentation/Lun masking to present a LUN to a host.