1753281 Members
5584 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: booting dl360 on san

Richard Allen
Frequent Advisor

booting dl360 on san

we are having problems trying to install/boot from san. The setup is dl360 server, dual path to an EVA 5000 system.
We can install Linux on to the box, but when booting, all I have is
checking adapter 0 loop id 129
and the machine hangs..
the fabric driver is
QLA 2312 Rom Bios version 1.34

We also have tried the same for Win2003

Any solution

My telephone is (354)8931813
8 REPLIES 8
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Have you followed the instructions in the SAN Boot Guide (found at http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/san/documentation.html#sanbg)?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Andrew_168
Regular Advisor

I have had a customer with the same problem, for 2003 you need to zone so that there is only a single path to the storage. Then anable all paths when secure path is setup.

Andy McCreath
Frequent Advisor

As stated, check the link above, but in essence, you can only present one path to the server during it's build, zone out your 2nd path for a while, and disable the adapter.
Make sure you are building off the active path/ active side of the fabric and all should be simple from here on in.

If you use a golden build (or build template), make sure your scripts have the necessary PNPDrivers in the $OEM or $Setup for the thirdparty storage connection. If you build off a CD then all you need is to hit F6 and insert your HBA drivers on floppy.
www.kimberly-clark.com
John Courtney

Hi
I have the exact same problem with my rack of blade servers. It happens across bl20's, bl30's and bl40's. I've updated all firmware and drivers and still the problem remains. I've followed the SAN boot guide instructions and only one path is enabled during the build.
Does anyone have any other ideas or have you seen this before?
Thanks
Rainer Duffner_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've got the same problem now, this turned up on google as a first hit ;-)
(IBM LS20 blade to EVA3000)

How was it solved?

Thanks in advance,
Rainer
John Courtney

Rainer, I still have the same problem. What sort of san switch are you using? Is it a Cisco mds switch?
Rainer Duffner_1
Occasional Contributor

John,

sorry for the late response.
The problem here was that we have got two EVA 3000s, that are connected via two switches to the two controllers of a blade.
What I had to do is to create a "host" entry for each host on both EVAs in the command view EVA.
Then, after fixing SAN-boot, zoneing and matching the Qlogic-BIOS settings with some "good" blade, it worked.

cheers,
Rainer
Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor

I am having a similar problem, but I believe it is because I am using a Dual Port qlogic card, and both ports have the same WWID.

Since all 3 of our EVA's see the WWID's from two physical paths, and different controllers, (we run 2 fabrics for redundancy), I think that is why I am seeing this....

Can anyone clear this up and tell me I am correct or thinking irrationally :)

Thanks,
Tom Callahan