New Discussion юеВ

Re: change alarm level on eva4k

JREBOLA
Occasional Advisor

change alarm level on eva4k

Hi, i have a eva4k with the following software and firmware version:

Version: 6220
Software: CR1363xc3p-6220

At this moment i have the alarm level on my disk group at 90% and i want to change this to 95% at least is there any problem ???

Thanks a lot.
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No problem. It is only meant to show you when the disk group runs full.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Actually, it is a BIG problem. Sorry Uwe :) But what that number is telling you is that you are 90% full. Which means that should a disk drive fail, it will take FOREVER to re-level and kick out the bad disk. I have had a number of customer do exactly as you are thinking of and they all had a "difficult" time recovering from a disk failure.
It is HP's Best Practice to never go over 80%. If you are above 80% you should be working on getting more space, whether it is adding more disk, removing data, or setting the sparing level to 1 from 2.
muruggan
Advisor

There should not be any big problem.It throws an alarm when the capacity reaches the threshold limit.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've heard that from sales people ;-)
but never seen an official document that says 80%.

Even the V1.0 sizers suggested about 90%.
Or do you suggest to leave additional free space (in addition to the so-called "protection level") for those mysterious PDMs ?
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

You got it Uwe. I know they currently say 90% but in real life, that is way too high. Remember we dont live in the "sales world" we are where the "rubber hits the road" :) And if you currently install Command View, it gives you 90% as a default. Partly due to the large drives we use now, but the basic problem still is that if you have a disk failure and it need to re-level, it can take forever if you have next to no free space.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

If you check in the middle of page 14, there is a"hint of a suggestion" about this issue. It is cloaked in "sales speak", but i think we all know what they are hinting at. :)
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

And here is some more....page 12.
Vishal_mcse
Occasional Advisor

If you have disk failure protection level set to either 1 or 2, then changing the alarm level should not be problem. But as suggested earlier it is recommended by HP to have as many free space in the disk group as possible..