108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: change the EVA configuration

Azadeh
Advisor

change the EVA configuration

Hi
There are 2 EVA 4100 and then I defined 2 Diskgroup on it
after that I defined some VDisk on it and then presented them to my Hosts...
now I'm going to migrate all of the VDISKs on the second diskgroup to the first one and then I'm going to change the diskdrive of one of my enclousure to FATA type and add them to the second disk group.
then I want to remove the FC diskdrives from the second diskgroup and add them to the first one.
then I'm going to transfer my Archive and file sharing to the second disk group with FATA diskdrive from the first diskgroup.
what is the exact step for this process ?
I don't want to loose any Vdisk at all ...
Regards
8 REPLIES 8
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Well, basically you need a Bussiness Copy license and a lot of patience.

You can create a mirror clone of a vdisk on disk group A, on disk group B. After the copy process is finished ane they are synchronized, you can fracture and de-attach the mirror clone, and continue working with the vdisk now on disk group B.

You can add and remove disks from a disk group at any time. As long as there's enough space to ungroup the disks and there are at least 9 disks.

It's a lot of planning and work, but it is not complicated.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you don't have a Business Copy license, you can get get a temp one from HP (or should be able to).

Do you have available space in the EVA to put in the FATA disks now? If not, there will be a multistep process to follow.

If you can put the disks in, you can move the data directly to the FATA disks without stepping through Diskgroup A.

So, with Business Copy...

1. FULL backup of all data.
2. Create Mirror Clones of the drives in use in Diskgroup B, onto Diskgroup A.
3. After data is copied and sync'ed, break the mirror and let your hosts use the copy in Diskgroup A.
4. At this point you can delete Diskgroup B since there are no more disks being presented from it.

5. If you haven't already done so, add in the FATA disks and create a Diskgroup.
6. follow the same as above to move data into the new diskgroup.

Give us some more information about your EVA(s).

How many disk shelves, how manay disks, how many disks in diskgroup a, how many in diskgroup b?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Azadeh
Advisor

How many disk shelves, how manay disks, how many disks in diskgroup a, how many in diskgroup b?

Dear Steven

I have 4 Encl. with 14 FC disk on each of them and 28 disks in each diskgroup.

I don't have any BC license right now ! There isn't any way unless mirrorclone ?
Regards
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

how many disks and enclosures do you have in the EVA?

how many FATA drives do you want to add?

FATA drives must be grouped seperately as they are known as Near-online drives to EVA. Near-online(FATA) drives and online (FC) drives can not be in the same group.

Also for redundancy you should distribute your FATA drives to all your enclosures where possible. share some detail about your current state.

there is enough info about migrating a VD from one disk group to another, but if possible creating FATA group first will make the life easier for you, as you can step over some work.
Azadeh
Advisor

ow many disks and enclosures do you have in the EVA?

how many FATA drives do you want to add?

Hi Bulent
2 EVA4100, 4 enclousure , 56 disks, 14 disks in each enclosure
I'm going to remove 14 FC disks and add 14 FATA disks in each EVA
Regards
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

Just for clarification,
You have one EVA4100 with two HSV200 Controllers and 4 Disk enclosures all full with disks.

EVA have to have 2 Controllers for redundancy.

Again if I were you I should distribute the FATA drives to all 4 enclosures.

Are all FC drives same size? If so after migrating the VD to first Disk group, delete the second DG and remove the drives from all enclosures one by one, IF DG are not evenly distributed to enclosures then first add the disks coming from second DG to first DG and then remove the required FC disks to free slots for FATA drives.

If I were you I would free the following slots on enclosures respectively.

Azadeh
Advisor

Dear Bulent
If I don't have BC license, then what can I do ?
Regards
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

You can call HP for a temp license,

You can copy the data via Operating System.

If it is hpux then you can use mirror-UX

If windows, you should use BC or windows copy.