how to configure VSAN and zoning for cisco MDS sw 9120 with EVA 4000
and windows 2003 hosts and SUN solaris Server

thanks
19 REPLIES 19
raadek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: configure VSAN on cisco MDS sw 9120

First question: do you need VSANs at all? I mean maybe proper zoning would do?

You can create VSANs to separate (almost) completely different environments, e.g. FC from FICON (mainframe world).

Zones can overlap, VSANs cannot (with the exception of ISLs).

If you are after VSANs, then I would create one for Win hosts & the other one for SUN. Bear in mind that in this case you will need to dedicate certain ports on EVA to either VSAN 1 or 2.

Then within VSANs you can zone hosts to give them only as much access as they need to 'see' LUNs on EVA, e.g. for Host 1 on your switch: the port linked to its HBA should be zoned together with the port(s) facing EVA.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If memory serves me correctly, the only reason you really need to VSAN is if you have only 1 Cisco SAN Switch to dedicate to your environment OR... you want to use 2 Cisco SAN Switches(or more), but you want BOTH of them to host the 2 separate "Fabrics" you are supposed to have for a "redundant" environment.

As mentioned, you can not add ports to multiple VSAN's.

You configure VSAN's and Zoning though the Java based Fabric Manager built into the Switch Management module. I don't remember if there is a default IP, but rather do remember having to configure one first. (I think, its been a while since I had my hands on a Cisco SAN Switch).

Can you let us know why you think you need a VSAN?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Osama Odeh_1
Regular Advisor

I have 2 MDS 9120 SAN switich
So I need to create 2 Zones (not VSANS )

through commands on MDS switiches or fabric manager, and how?

thanks

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Well, you probably need more then 2 zones, but we can get to that later...

Are these switches new? or already configured in your environment?

Once you have the IP address for the Management port on the switch, you can web browse to it and will be given the option to install the java based Switch Manager nd Fabric Manager clients.

Once the clients are installed, you can use them to create/modify your configuration. For me it was pretty easy to do the first time without ever seeing a Cisco SAN Switch before... but I also had 2 years of SAN experience behind me.

Once you can get in, look around the interface. If you need additional help with the interface, I will have to dig up some training material and look through, or find my MDS Simulator.

The reason I say you probably need more that 2 zones is because... it is best proctice to create your zones based on your hosts. Each host gets 1 zone for Disk Storage and 1 zone for Tape Storage (if necessary). This eliminates a lot of issues with fibre communications between hosts, especially between multiple unix type hosts.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Osama Odeh_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks steven and raadek

In our senario we have 5 server windows 2003
and one msl6000 tape library connected to one MDS SW
and we install DA and MA for windows 2003 servers
to make them backup through SAN to tape library

and one SUN solaris serve
So we will create 2 zone , (one for SUN serevr ,2 HSV controllers ports, tape library)the other Zone it will contain all windows 2003 servers and tape library.

what you suggest for this....

** pls steven if you can send the training material and your MDS Simulator
to : osama.odeh@jds.com.jo

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

The best practice for zoning is to limit each zone to a SINGLE Host Bus Adapter. (FC card).

Thus, you would create a separate zone for each server. (two zones per server, if each server has two FC cards)

For example:

host1:HBA1 --> EVA4K controller 1 (ports a/b)
host1:HBA2 --> EVA4K controller 2 (ports a/b)
host2:HBA1 --> EVA4K controller 1 (ports a/b)
host3:HBA1 --> EVA4K controller 1 (ports a/b)

To use the Cisco GUI, connect via a serial cable (included with the switch), and login. I'm fairly new to Cisco switches, but there is a quick setup/config menu that will take you through the basic configuration, which will assign your switch a network IP address.

From there, you can point a web browser to the switch's IP, and the java-based applet will download to your PC, and allow you to configure the switch via the GUI.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Jagan M Reddy

Hi Steven,

Could you please send the material and Simulator to jagan.y@gmail.com.

regards

Jagan M Reddy
Pablo Nunez

Hi Steve

I would like to have the MDS simulator .
Could you send it to my email adress pablostalyn@hotmail.com?

Or send me the url where I can get it.?

Thank you a lot.

SrinathG

Hi Steve,

Could you send the url (or) the Fabric manager simulator to srinathgopinathan@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Srinath G