6075 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: connecting a NAS to a SAN

ats1
Frequent Advisor

connecting a NAS to a SAN

hi all;

Is it possible to connect a NAS to a SAN? How? What are the different steps?

bests regards
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sure that's possible. A NAS server presents folders + files and a SAN array presents data disk(s) with block access to its clients.

For example you can use a Windows or Linux/Unix system to serve files.
Now can connect that system to a SAN and it will put its own file system on the SAN array.

The required steps depend on the products being used and can be _very_ different.
ats1
Frequent Advisor

have you got a document about this config NAS and SAN please?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, no such single document exists. There are a number of vendors of NAS systems with different (command) interfaces and different technologies.

SAN (Storage Area Network) is not really a product. It means you have servers, a network infrastructure and storage arrays (again, they can come from different vendors) that (I simplify a bit) communicate via SCSI protocol. The network infrastructure uses Fibre Channel or iSCSI (SCSI commands over IP) protocol.
ats1
Frequent Advisor

where can i have a BOM Bill Of Materiel for this king of config?
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Just order these 2 items and you will have a HP Scalable NAS system already preconfigured from the factory. Then just connect it to your network and start using it.
qty 1 AN595B EVA4400 SAN Array and 2 NAS Gateways
qty 12 AP731B (450GB FC disk Drives) which will give you about 4.5TB of Raw Storage. Usable will be less depending on the Vraid Level used.
ats1
Frequent Advisor

hi all,

I searh the BOM (Bill Of Material) of a cluster with 2 X DL380G7 and a MSA2312i storage bay. A direct attach beteewn the two servers DL380G7 and the msa2312i. I try with the hp econfigurator but it doesn't work. I need your assistance please. help me
bests regards