New Discussion юеВ

Re: connecting blasesystem to eva

SOLVED
Go to solution
ilayy
Regular Advisor

connecting blasesystem to eva

hi expert
can i use HP B-series 8/12c SAN Switch BladeSystem c-Class(AJ820A) to connect blade servers directly to an eva or should i use also external san switches? and why?

5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, you can.

The only reaon you need an external switch is to interconnect additional devices beyond the count available on the c-Class Interconnect.

I.E. if you need to connect the EVA, and a tape library and another SAN and a MSA and some stand alone servers... you probably won't have enough ports to connect them all to. Figure out the port count needed. if it is less than 8... go with the internal switch only. If it is less than 8 now.. but you know you will need more later on... get an external switch.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ilayy
Regular Advisor

can you provide me a user guide about how to configure this switch
ilayy
Regular Advisor

sorry i forgot to ask even if we will connect only an eva to the enclosure if we are using only the brocade switch installed in the enclosure how we will do a zoning for the management serve which is usually a stand alone server with the controller ?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You will be able to connect a limited number of devices to theBrocade SAN Switch Interconnect.

More specifically... you will use at least 2 ports per switch for the EVA, then 1 more for you management server. (If your management server is a blade... it uses an internal facing port, preserving the 6 available ports for external devices.

There isn't much to configure on the switch in a simple environment. The only thing you need to worry about is zoning.

Zoning is simple to configure. Attach to the web interface to log into the Java management Console. *You can get the IP address from the OA interface if you do not know it.)

Go to Zone Admin.

For each of your servers...

...create an Alias. An Alias is a logical name you give to the World Wide Port Name of the HBA port in each server and/or each port of your EVA.

Click New, type a name... click ok.

Navigate to the switch port (in the left window pane) that contains your server and expand the entry twice. Select the second entry (The WWID underneath the first WWID in the list) and click add. (Each server bay corrosponds to a switch port... Bay 1 is port 1, bay 2 is port 2... etc)

Do the same for your EVA ports.

For each of your servers...

...create a Zone. A zone is how you tell which devices are allowed to talk to other devices.

For a simple configuration, you can simply do:

Zone1: Server1, EVA_ControllerA_Port1, EVA_ControllerB_Port1

Zone2: Server2, EVA_ControllerA_Port1, EVA_ControllerB_Port1

ZoneX: ServerX, EVA_ControllerA_Port1, EVA_ControllerB_Port1

Create a Zone Configuration. This is where you tell the switch which zones you want to be "Active". Usually all of the zones you create, but there may be times where you need to take away access to storage... this is how you would do it. Just remove the zone from the config and re-enable it.

When you are done... save and enable the config.

Post more if you need more info.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ilayy
Regular Advisor

the answer of steven was soo detailed thanks