New Discussion юеВ

Re: controller managment link failer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khalid Shakoor
Regular Advisor

controller managment link failer

Dear Gurzz,
I have EVA 4400 and I try to login management port and assign the WWN number on my storage. But it├в s given me attached error (communication failed).
I think I need to upgrade the controller firmware level. But I don├в t know how I can update the controller firmware without using command view EVA (command view EVA also not seeing the controller).
My management controller firmware is 1.00.00.080211 .I really appreciated if some help me.
Thanks in advance.

Khalid

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

is this a brand new eva4400 - if so have you seen the note about default operating mode on page 43 of the install guide here :-

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01631857/c01631857.pdf?bcsi_scan_55CD7D3AC98E6F89=x98SqE+FrDt3UcV/fmtq/wEAAAARygsA&bcsi_scan_filename=c01631857.pdf

HTH

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Looks like the management module cannot talk to _both_ controllers - in that case I don't think you can change the host port mode.

I wonder if the controller firmware and the management module firmware are 'out of sync'. There has been a protocol change when moving to XCS 09000400, but I don't have a matrix of all those version numbers (HP: is it really necessary to have such complex numbers? 1.00.00.080211).

You could try to swap both controllers and do a complete new power-cycle or change the management module's firmware to see if this restores the communication to the controllers.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Just update to the latest XCS (09006000) and management module firmware (0001.1000), there are several known bugs in EVA4400 firmware, and the communication problems between WOCP and controllers are one of them.

Check the connections to the controllers using "cvutil paths" command (cvutil.exe is in the same folder as Command View).
Khalid Shakoor
Regular Advisor

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply,
Can any body tell me whats the scenario if you have two controller and both controller have different WWN Number in EVA4440.
IS is possible i can downgrade the firmware level of Management module ?

Thanks in Advance
Khalid
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I cannot imagine how that could be possible.

If there is no WWN present and you enter one, it is applied to both controllers (in the previous EVA models, you do enter the value on one controller's physical control panel and it is pushed to the other controller.

If there is meta-data on the disk drives, the WWN will be read from the disks.

Yes, you can downgrade the firmware - no configuration data is stored on the module. Its configuration data is stored on the disks, too. That's why I 'initialize' the EVA first and then make final changes to the module (I don't know and have not verified if established settings get safely stored).
Khalid Shakoor
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your help.

Khalid