6101 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: create a windows share in eva4400

iinfi1
Super Advisor

create a windows share in eva4400

Hi all,
i have not operated SAN (eva4400) myself. i have a few questions.
we need a common directory for our two load balanced IIS servers (F5 load balancer) to access. this should be on SAN and should not be shared from node 1 or node2 as we want a high availability.
Is it possible to make a NTFS partition on the SAN itself (eva4400) and map that drive to a Windows machine?
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA is a block storage device and does not know what an "NTFS partition" is as it only works with disk blocks. You can present an EVA virtual disk to a Windows server and it looks like an empty disk.

Then you write a disk signature, create the partition table and finally create the NTFS - all _from_ Windows.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can even use something like iSCSI or FCoE together with special hardware, but the EVA itself cannot manage a filesystem.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

On my MSA 2012fc SAN, the Vdisks are split into LUNs that the server sees. Windows can map a drive letter to each LUN. Then, I create the Windows share to the directory or drive letter. All the SAN is virtual storage. It is just Vdisks with LUN (volumes).
iinfi1
Super Advisor

thanks all
if i understood correctly i cannot have a single windows share mapped to two servers simultaneously. as ntfs cannot be mounted on two servers.
what i will do is, have a third file server and map the NTFS share from the fileserver.
does this make sense?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You can present the same LUN to two Windows servers, but then they need to be configured as a cluster so there's a service that regulates the access to the shared disk.

Or you can present the LUN to a single server and then share it on the network (as a NAS).
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You don't want the same LUN being written to by two different servers except in a cluster. You never want the same OS being accessed by two servers except in a cluster. You can corrupt an OS.

You might be able to do a non-OS data partition LUN with R/W from two servers. I would not recommend it. It could cause issues. However, if you had server A writing to application A and server B writing to application B. It should not cause a conflict. You would not want to share OS on non-clustered servers.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> It could cause issues

It *WILL* cause issues if the file system was not designed for shared access - NTFS is not.

It does not matter if servers write to different folders of the file system - the meta-data has already been corrupted as soon has the second server mounts the disk.

Don't do that - period.
iinfi1
Super Advisor

the current scenario is such that the two web servers which are load balanced using a F5 load balancer.
each of them has an independent disk and changes made in one are copied onto the other also.
I thought we could have a common disk so that we can avoid situations wherein changes are not reflected to the other node.

thanks a lot for ur replies