disk on san storage

sarfraz Khan_2
Occasional Advisor

disk on san storage

hello,

i have intalled two hp ux server and both server accessing storage on eva4400 from two redundant array controller. everything is ok but in ioscan command it is displaying two path for each disk and also showing two same size disk in smh i have attached both command output.pls help me in this regard.

Thanks

Regards
sarfraz
sarfraz khan
6 REPLIES 6
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Re: disk on san storage

Hi,

The output posted is in legacy DSF form and due to the redundant controller if I remember right coming from bus instance 2 and 8 in your case. The legacy DSF is dependent on LUN path and hence for the same disk you would have two legacy DSFs. What is your seeing in the output is normal behaviour... Do assign points for those who have helped if you find the answer helpful.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
DeafFrog
Valued Contributor

Hi ,

assuming that 2 have 2 redundant s/w (in non fabric) , please post if you are able to see silimar , whe nyou give a command like this :
#ioscan -m dsf

/dev/rdisk/disk38 /dev/rdsk/c12t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c14t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c16t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c18t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c6t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c8t0d4
/dev/rdsk/c10t0d4
/dev/rdisk/disk49 /dev/rdsk/c12t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c14t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c16t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c18t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c6t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c8t0d5
/dev/rdsk/c10t0d5
# diskinfo /dev/rdisk/disk49
SCSI describe of /dev/rdisk/disk49:
vendor: HP
product id: HSV210
type: direct access
size: 10485760 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 512

If this is the case there is nothing i everything shoud be ok.

Reg.
FrogIsDeaf
DeafFrog
Valued Contributor

Hi , (again)

after downloading your attachement , and assuming ( that's certainly a lot) , you should alteast have 2 Fc card in each of the servers , please post ioscan -fnC fc from both the servers , in that case 2 should see path 8 paths to a disk , and 4 almost same H/W path , which certinaly is not the case in your attachment.

Regards,
FrogIsDeaf
sarfraz Khan_2
Occasional Advisor

thanks all.

problem resolve.

sarfraz khan
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Perhaps you could share the solution with the thousands of other system administrators that follow the ITRC Forums?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Assuming you are using HP-UX 11.31, you should no longer have a need for a multipath software as the ALUA mechanisms of the EVA A/A array is fully supported by the OS. You should use the DSF device in lieue of SecurePath or the cXtYdZ.

IF you are using an 11.11 system however -- note that you still need a multipathing software like SecurePath for A/A arrays OR VxVM multipath.

Hakuna Matata.