4557 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: eva 4400 vdisk max size

phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

eva 4400 vdisk max size

Hi,

I created a GPT disk on 2008 that allows windows to accept disks bigger than 2TB.
I tried to exted a 1TB volume to 2.2TB over the weekend but the eva would not allow thedisk to be larger than 2TB. The version of the eva is 09522000

Could anyone confirm if this is the case with the eva? Will it support larger volumes with a more updated firmware?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you can use vdisks with up to 32 TB.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the reply, something must be incorrect, when i tried creating the disk over 2048 it would not let me. Any ideas why that happens?

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, the work to support vdisks > 2TB was only partly-done. The release notes for XCS 09500000 said you can:

- create a vdisk smaller than 2TB and then grow up to 2047GB.

- create/present/delete a vdisk larger than 2TB. CANNOT replicate, grow, shrink.

I've done a *quick* look over later release notes. It seems that paragraph was completely dropped, but (most/all?) limits apparently still apply.
KurtG
Regular Advisor

The Disk Groupe need to be enhanced to support this. Latest firmware and Command View EVA is also recomended but you should be ok.

Type of diskgroupe (basic/enhanced) is selectet during creation of the groupe. The groupe can not be "upgraded" to enhanced once created.

KurtG

O.G
Frequent Advisor

As Patrick Mentioned, EVA4400 supports LUNs up to 32 TB.

Your current XCS should allow it, however a new version has been released: XCS 09534000.

I read the release notes and it fixes issues with LUN 0 expansion and several other issues.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02248321/c02248321.pdf

Cheers

Orlando
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The comment has been moved into the "HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array Compatibility Reference". The current version (5697-0168 from June) says for all XCS releases from XCS 0952x000 to 0953x000:

Large LUN support:
Create virtual disks (LUNs) that are larger than 2 TB (32 TB maximum). You can only create, present, and delete virtual disks that are 2 TB or greater. You cannot perform replication tasks or extend and shrink virtual disks that are 2 TB or greater.
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

hi, so the following would be correct

1 windows 2008 (no vdisk)
create vdisk of 3tb and present it should work

if i have an existing server with 1.5TB already created and present and i want to extend, i can only extend upto 2tb?

Thanks

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Correct, and if I read the notes correctly, even an upgrade of the controller firmware to the latest will not give you more features with vdisks > 2TB.