New Discussion юеВ

Re: eva 4400

SOLVED
Go to solution
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

eva 4400

Hi,

i have a eva 4400 and i need to be able to allocate over 2TB to a server.
When i try to create more than 2TB i get an error 'the capacity specified is either unsupported or invalid'

i also have a 6400 eva which allow me to create disks larger than 2TB.

the 4400 is on the lates firmware and command view.

any ideas welcome?

thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Phil,
First you should have XCS v095000 and above which is most likely you are gonna have. Secondly diskgroup should be enhanced. This can only be selected when the diskgroup was first created and can't be changed.

Click on the diskgroup and you can see whether it's basic or enhanced, for a better look compare between 6400 and 4400.

Let us know if this still doesn't answer your question.
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your respone. the diskgroup is enhanced and the firmware version is 09534000

phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

the only difference is that one is using a HSV400 or the one that cant create the 2TB volume is a HSV300, if thats helps?

goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Phil,
the EVA4400 should allow :
Management of up to 1024 virtual disks (256 per HBA), for the EVA4400, ranging in size from 1GB to 32TB per Virtual disk, in 1GB increments.
Dynamic Capacity Management support to expand (in 1GB increments) and shrink LUNs up to 2TB.

I am not familier with this error but you should be able to create a Vdisk up to 32TB

if you are unable to resolve this, i suggest you create smaller Vdisks up to the 2TB you need and preset them to the server.
"Life is what you make out of them!"
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

i would if i could. we have a database that is going to grow larger than 2TB so i need the disk to be larger than 2TB.

creating multiple 2TB drives is not an option
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What version of Command View are you actually running?

9.3 is the latest...

Whats the OS you are using that is going to access the disk?

Can you post a screenshot of your disk group? and the error?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

hi,

Thanks for the response.
1) command view is 9.3
2) OS - this should not matter, when i originally tried to create the 2.5TB volume it was not presented. Its just a vdisk creted in the command view. (its w2k8)

3) screen shots attached.

even though i have now allocated space, i did try to create the large drive before i created the vdisk. i am now worried that when i need to extend larger than 2tb it wont work which i also tested on empty 1.8TB drives before i did the disk migration.

hope this helps.

Thanks

goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Phil,
I might be mistaken but it seems that your disk group has less the 1TB available

total: 10064G
allocated: 9080G

thus the message that the capcity requested is invalid.

"Life is what you make out of them!"
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

yes but like i said, i tried to create the disks before i did any of the current config when i had over 5TB of spare capacity on the 600gb disk group