New Discussion юеВ

Re: hard zoning

SOLVED
Go to solution
unixuser
Advisor

hard zoning

Hi all,

as we know we have two type of zoning.hard and soft, but i have dout about hard zoning that we make hard zoning using server's wwn and san swicth port no.is it right. if so then how we give access to particular LUNS to that server and and prevent server to access other LUNs whcih ar in our SAN storage.we have HP eva 8000 SAN storage and HP command view to do all these things.please anyone tell me in details.thanks a lot in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Zoning

SAN design guide could help you in the hard or soft zooning selection:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

page 117-118 for B-series (Brocade) switches
page 136 for C-series (Cisco) switches

Presentation

when zoning done you need to create the host/host group via the Command view EVA (dont forget to set the correct host type here - HPUX or Linux, etc).
If zoning done correctly, you will see the
respective PWWN in the host port addition pulldown menu. After the addition and new vdisk creation, just present the new vdisk to the respective host/host group.
For most of the platforms the SET PREFERED PATH TO CONTROLLER A/B Failover/failback settings should be set during the presentation to loadbalance both EVA controllers. (NONE could be used only in e.g. HPUX 11.31, which has native MPIO).

the pain is one part of the reality
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

to put a high-level point of view , the zoning defines the path from server to storage, ssp (selective storage presentation) in the storage array is used to tie down server access to luns.

fwiw

unixuser
Advisor

Hi LBLTAY,

thanks for you response.but still i have dout about zoning mean we make zoning by using server's wwn(world wide number) and swicth port no.is it right.if so we get the wwn of server by this command #fcmswtil and how do i get my switch port no ,is there any way to get it please explain me.once again thanks a lot
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the usage is either the soft zoning (pwwn based zoning) or hard zoning (port zoning)

Here are some threads 4 explanation:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1066902

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=980034

etc.

(The FCMSUTIL MAN):
http://docs.hp.com/en/B3921-60631/fcmsutil.1M.html
the pain is one part of the reality
krusty
Honored Contributor
Solution

Some clarification of hard and soft zoning.

Back in the 1Gb switch days (Brocade, 'cuz Cisco wasn't in the game back then!) zoning by using the ports was enforced by the ASICs in the switches and therefore was called "hard(ware) based zoning". If you zoned by using the WWNs, it was enforced by the Name Server in the server and therefore was called "soft(ware) based zoning".

For all 2Gb and later switches both WWN and port based zoning are enforced by the ASICs, EXCEPT when you use mixed zoning (i.e. have WWNs and ports in the same zone). However, the correlation of WWN being "soft zoning" and port zoning being "hard zoning" stuck and still exists today. Rest assured that if you use WWNs in you zones today it is hardware zoning.

This is outlined very well in the SAN Design Guide, so you could download a copy for your reference.

As for the presentation of the LUNs to a server (LUN masking), in the EVA world it's called Selective Storage Presentation (for you XP's folks it's called Secure LUN Manager). This limits which HBA has access to a particular LUN. Obviously, the zoning has to be correct so the hosts can "see" the storage.

Hope this helps,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
unixuser
Advisor

Hi curt butz,

let me first thank you very much for you explaintion.your answere help me a lot to undestand about zoning.after undestanding you explantion i came to know that we define or create hard zoning by using wwn of server and switch port.and see our server in HOSTS sub menu in HPCV and create LUNs or Vdisk then present the created LUNs to that server as per our need.i is it correct.just let me know,thanks a lot in advance.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Pls. go thru this document