108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hsv110+m5314+bl20p

SOLVED
Go to solution
vladallen

hsv110+m5314+bl20p

Hi,
I've got to setup 1x hsv110 + 1x m5314 + bl20p G3 + 2x Gbe2. Each bl20p equipped with Qlogic DP Fibre Channel HBA for BL20P G3. BL20P runs Win2003x64. Qlogic windows drivers are installed, Firmware 1.5.
FC cables are connected from correspondent FC ports on Gbe2 to Fp1 and Fp2 on hsv110.

On power on, hsv110 stops loading and asks for WWN+checksum. I called HP and asked to retrieve WWN, and was adviced to run SanSurf to find it on the network, but SanSurf show "loop down" on both channels.

Is there any other way to retrieve WWN (if sticker is lost)?
What software/drivers do i need to install to have this whole setup working? Do i need FC loop switch or it's optional?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you can't cable to GbE2 to the host ports of the EVA. You need the "HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Storage Connectivity Kit". Within this kit there are two octal sfp port modules. From this modules you can connect the HSV110.

The HSV seems to be uninitialized. Is this one HSV110 or a HSV110 controller pair??? If WWN stickers lost, you might have a problem. Without it the EVA can't be initialized. If you only have one controller, and not a controller pair, you might have a second problem. You can initialize the EVA, but it's not supported.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
vladallen

Hi Patrick,

I believe HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Storage Connectivity Kit is installed on each GbE2. Each module has 8 FC ports.

I've got single HSV110. My understanding is that the pair is needed for redundancy and ability to run multiple enclosures. But in my case i don't need high availability, just the speed. I can probably get another HSV110 on the net. Does it require to be a matching pair?

Thanks
V.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

it must be a HSV110. But without a valid WWN and checksum you will be unable to setup the controller.

An EVA has always two controllers. There is no 1C1D (one controller, one disk-shelf). So you should buy a second controller.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like you have got some of the parts required to make an EVA5000.

You do need to have two HSV110 controllers.

I'll take a guess however that you're also going to be missing the CAB cabling.

You'll also need a copy of Command View EVA to manage everything.

To answer your original questions, no there is no way to recover the WWN if the sticker is lost. With only one disk shelf, the FC loop switch is probably optional.

Cheers,

Rob
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Rob is right, I forgot the CV license. You need at least a 1 TB LTU of Command View EVA to manage your EVA.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
vladallen

Thank you, guys for a detailed response.
A question: in theory, could i plug m5314 into Gbe2 directly without HSV110, and use Windows SAN management to handle LUNS etc?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

No. That won't work.

Cheers,
Rob
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can't connect a disk-shelf directly to an HBA. This will, as already said, not work.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
vladallen

FYI: Just out of curiosity i did connect m5314 to HBA, and it works. However, no redundancy/multipath could be achieved with regular drivers.