108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: installing new disks into a live EVA5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl H Fero
Advisor

installing new disks into a live EVA5000

Hey all! I have 8 new 300gb FC disks in my office to add to my EVA5000. I am going to create a second disk group with them for a new database separate from my production disk group. When installing the physical drives do I just pop them in the disk shelves vertically one at a time with 5-10 minutes in between each install? All 8 one after another? Grouping on the SAN is set to "manual" so the new disks won't automatically be grouped into my current disk group. Then I just create a new disk group, new virtual disks and group them into the new group? Easy as that? The main concern I have is installing the new disks into the shelves while live and the best way to go about it. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor
Solution

We have an EVA6000, and that procedure should work.

You shouldn't need to wait 5-10 minutes. Use command view to verify that each new disk has appeared in the "Ungrouped Disks" folder before adding the next disk.

Also, before grouping, I would suggest downloading the firmware bundle and verifying that the new disks are up to the latest firmware rev.

You may want to request that this topic be moved to the storage forum, as your question is really operating system neutral, and that's where the EVA experts hang out.

Jon
it depends
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As Jon says above that all looks fine. HP recommend waiting 2mins between insertions of disks but it is a good idea to check that they appear in CV as well.
On the f/w upgrade Jon is also perfectly correct. However, depending on what version of CV and VCS you are running you may not be able to do the disk drive code load (if required) on line. Therefore if you are going to do this it would be a good idea to code load the drives (if required) BEFORE you group them. If you have the ability to on-line code load them then it does not matter.
To check to see if you can code load the drives on line then all you have to do is select the "codeload" button from the top level CV screen. If you get a choice of either the ctrls or disks then you can do it. If not then code load the disk drived before you group them.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Carl H Fero
Advisor

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Before I purchased the drives I had my regular vendor check and load the most current firmware on them before shipping them to me. Other than that it looks pretty striaght forward. I guess I'm just a little uneasy working with disks on a live SAN. Thanks for the help!
Carl H Fero
Advisor

My questions have been answered and I'll do this project first thing next week. Thanks everyone!